Subject: EHS Weekly Report - Week ending 6/29/01
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 06:14:00 -0700 (PDT)

ADMINISTRATIVE

Japan National Television - John Ambler and Mike Terraso were interviewed 
regarding Enron's Climate Change iniatives and statement.

Enron Campus - Ken Lovejoy and Clifford Salawage of ETS (manager Health and 
Industrial Hygiene) met employees in the Enron building that have concerns 
about the indoor air quality in their work area.  The issue is being 
evaluated to determine an action plan. 

EUROPE

Poland, ENS Power Plant - Alan Stringer conducted EHS gap analysis audit of 
the facility and made recommendations on additional procedures required to 
meet Enron Guidelines and provided advice on EHS aspects for exit strategy of 
the site.

UK, Project McCook - Alan Stringer participated in a conference call with 
Susan Worthen, Don Stevens, and Robert Brooks to discuss environmental issues 
related to indemnification.  This deal is estimated to be signed next week..  
Susan,s Team will need to conduct a due diligence within 60 days. 

Japan, Brownfield Site  - Alan Stringer provided technical assistance and 
requested historical information on potential brownfield site that EEOS are 
considering in Japan. 

UK, EPOL - TPS -    Alan Stringer and Henry Van are preparing the final list 
of EHS issues from the O&M audit to be presented to Mike Terraso for 
resolution. 

ENRON GLOBAL ASSETS
(Central America, South America, India and Asia)

San Juan Gas Remediation - field evidence indicates that the tar has migrated 
off-site to the neighbor,s property. 

ENA
 
N. York, Edison Mission Brooklyn Navy Yard Facility - Bill Curra completed 
the environmental due diligence evaluation of the Edison Mission cogeneration 
plant for NE Power Origination.  Indications are favorable that the 
acquisition will go forward, and further risk management assistance relating 
to environmental issues will be required. 

ACQUISITIONS
 
Sithe Independent Power Partners - 1000 MW combined cycle natural gas fired 
cogeneration facility located in the Town of Scriba, County of Oswego, NY.  
ECT is interested in entering into a 40% limited partnership with no O&M 
responsibility.  Don Stevens has learned that ECT has submitted their bid to 
Sithe and is awaiting a response.

GREENFIELD CAPITAL PROJECTS

Offshore LNG Vaporization Terminal - California - Gus Eghneim (Enron Corp) 
has been asked to manage environmental permitting for an offshore LNG 
vaporization terminal in California.  Gus has agreed to keep Joe Kolb 
informed and involved at the next meeting.  The project is in the very early 
stages of consideration.

DEPARTMENT PROJECTS

Social Responsibility Risk Assessment Tool - Gavin Dillingham met with Lauren 
Iannarone and they decided to add some more functionality to the database. 
They will add a section for case studies, transaction cost and industry type. 
Once this is done it will be populated and the prototype will be demonstrated 
to interested Enron business units.

REGULATORY TECHNICAL ANALYSIS

Enron IT Employee Receives Ergonomics Relieve - Russell Tucker located a 
workstation solution to allow the raising of the desk top in selectable 
increments to provide back strain relieve to an Enron IT employee that is 6' 
8" tall. The replacement desk will also allow the employee to remain in his 
present location within his work group with the desk fitting within the 
original desk space.

COMPETITIVE INTELLIGENCE & BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES

California Power Development -- NEPA Review -  Jeff Keeler and Mary Schoen 
held a meeting with EWS/ENA West power developers to discuss a proposed 
project in Roseville, CA.   Since the project must connect to the Western 
Area Power Administration (WAPA) through a substation, WAPA is suggesting 
that it may need to perform not only a NEPA analysis from the Enron project 
to the substation, but on the entire WAPA grid, due to NEPA's mandate to 
analyze "all downstream impact."   Jeff and Mary are working on strategies to 
determine:  1) if it is legally feasible to conduct NEPA review just for the 
Enron project portion so that Cal. Energy Commission process is not delayed 
and 2)  if agencies involved in NEPA review will comply with Bush executive 
orders mandating expedited review of power project permit applications.

Emissions Control Technology -- Clean Coal Funding - Jeff Keeler discussed 
with EGM a preliminary strategy for pursuing DOE clean coal program funding 
for a demonstration project or commercialization grant for the Clean 
Solutions Group's "NOx Tech" pollution control technology.

Voluntary Greenhouse Gas Emissions Target Analysis - ; Lisa Jacobson and 
Susan Worthen offered recommendations and analysis on voluntary greenhouse 
gas emissions commitments to Mike Terraso.; Lisa continued to identify 
opportunities and business activity related to greenhouse gas emissions 
issues (Climate Neutral Network conference, GEMI conference).

Global Climate Change -  Lisa Jacobson continued to provide intelligence to 
business units and corporate groups on climate change policy developments, 
including:
Canada's negotiations with the EU and announcement that it may work to 
support the Kyoto protocol
Japan's discussions with the US and EU, and resulting announcement that Japan 
will not move forward with any climate change agreement without the US.
Delay in release of EU climate change policies (coordinated with Govt. 
Affairs, Brussels/London)
US congressional activity on climate change

Sterling Energy/Renewable Desk - Stacey Bolton followed up w/CEO and COO from 
Sterling Planet regarding the renewable desk potentially supplying them green 
tags. Organized call between Sterling and ENA West for next week to explore 
business opportunities.;; Stacey is working with Sarah Novosel (Reg Affairs, 
Washington) to detail Enron's position before FERC regarding intermittency.; 
Elliot Mainzer is speaking at;a FERC hearing;in July, and coordinating 
position w/ Sarah.

ADVOCACY & COMMERCIAL SUPPORT

Multipollutant & New Source Review Strategies - Jeff Keeler and 
representatives of the power generation industry met with EPA concerning its 
90-day review of the NSR program and its proposed recommendations to the 
White House.   The group briefed EPA staff from the Administrator's office, 
Office of Air and Radiation, NSR Enforcement office and White House Council 
of Economic Advisors on NSR concerns for new power development and our 
proposed multipollutant solutions that could offer and alternative to NSR.

Global Climate Change - Lisa  Jacobosn and Jeff Keeler continued work on a 
number of initiatives with commercial and corporate groups:
Congressional advocacy - Lisa represented Enron at a Climate Change lobby day 
sponsored by several environmental groups. Enron was the only company to make 
a formal presentation on its position on global climate change.  About 100 
delegates were present, representing the scientific, religious, business and 
environmental communities from Washington, New Mexico, Ohio, Florida, 
Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maine, New Hampshire, Michigan, and 
Maryland.