Subject: Weekly EHS Update 08/25/00
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 04:48:00 -0700 (PDT)

Cuiaba Pipeline - Joe Kolb reviewed the most recent Monthly Status Report and 
is trying to confirm some information regarding potential construction during 
the rainy season (November) due to the delays in the Ridges area. 

Metgas Pipeline -  Joe Kolb completed review of final version of EMP and met 
with Paul Perisho and how now issued EMP Approval memo.  Apparently there are 
still a large number of hurdles to beginning construction in February '01.  
They will not pursue hiring a project Env Mgr until they are more confident 
of when the project will begin.

BMPs for Pipeline Construction - Bob Moss confirmed that Jerry Martin with 
EE&CC has received the proposed pipeline BMPs for his personal or his staff's 
review.  Joe has been unable to confirm EBS's interest/participation in 
similar guidelines for fiber optic construction.  

Capital Project EHS Flow Charts - Joe Kolb, Susan Worthen, and Bob Moss 
discussed EE&CC's role in the environmental aspects of major capital project 
development.  Joe will finalize the draft flow charts this week.

Recycling Committee - Joe Kolb obtained contacts with Houston Area Recycling 
Council and David Ronkainen will be attending an upcoming meeting.  Wayne Lei 
will provide us with info on PGE's recycling program.

ENEL, Nicaragua - Don Stevens and Mike Fuentes finalized the environmental 
due diligence report for ENEL and distributed to the project team.  Estimated 
environmental liabilities are $4.5 MM.

Quantitative Risk Module and Compliance Calendar - Don Stevens will meet with 
Christine Dinh (Enron Net Works) on Friday to discus our IT project needs for 
the risk module.  Gavin Dillingham will be on-hand to discuss the compliance 
calendar.  Both projects have been on hold (for up to two months) due to the 
lack of IT support.

Annual EHS Report - Susan Worthen continued to work through technical 
difficulties this week that has impacted the anticipated debut of the 
report.  She is currently drafting a project schedule for next year's report 
to present internally and streamline the process to ensure a more timely 
publication. 

Safety Notices Issued - Russell Tucker issued a Safety Notice on the OSHA 
final policy concerning treatment of voluntary employer safety self-audits 
during inspections and the EPA final rule concerning access to off-site 
consequence analysis information required by the RMP standard.

BCCA Economic Study - Marc Phillips received survey materials regarding the 
Business Coalition for Clean Air (BCCA) economic study. He, with Cheryl 
Dawson, are preparing information about the economic impact of the Houston 
non-attainment regulations on the methanol plant.

TXOGA Pipeline Committee - Marc Phillips met with the Chair of the TXOGA 
Pipeline Committee, Gwenyette Broussard with Equilon, and was informed that 
Stan Horton had met with George Rootes, the CEO of Equilon, and discussed the 
future of the TXOGA Pipeline Committee. They agreed to form a steering 
committee to give direction to the pipeline committee activities.

Boiler and Heater MACT Regulations - Marc Phillips provided information to 
chemical plant personnel regarding the boiler and heater Maximum Achievable 
Control Technology (MACT) regulations that will be proposed this fall to 
control formaldehyde emissions by 2005.

Texas "Grandfathered" Emission Sources - Marc Phillips met with John Shafer 
(GPG), Bill Kendrick (GPG) and Tom Shelton (ENA) to discuss Enron's position 
on the meetings the intrastate pipeline association is having with TNRCC on 
grandfathered engines. Companies have the ability to obtain air permits for 
grandfathered emission sources under a voluntary (VERP) program in Texas. 
TXOGA is not involved in the meetings and does not support them. It was 
agreed that more industry groups, including INGAA, should be involved in the 
discussions.

Dabhol Power Plant Water Well Contamination - ThermoRetec continues to 
conduct aquifer pump tests at selected monitoring wells to gather 
characteristic data on the acquifer behavior to evaluate contaminant 
transport.  

Henry Van and Bal Wong are coordinating a trip to India to work with Dabhol 
Management to develop an action plan for the groundwater issues and the EHS 
Audits conducted to date (AD Little Safety audit, ENSR Environmental Audit 
and Enron Operations Audit).  Expect to develop a workplan for Bal to 
continue support Dabhol in the resolution of all issues at hand.

Ecolelectrica Air Compliance Issues - Marc Philips and Donnie Willmann met 
with Ernesto Blanco and presented the plan for continue support to assist 
in the resolution of NOV issues and prevent future NOVs.  Meeting went well 
and all issues are understood as well as roles and responsibilities for 
supporting 
compliance.