Subject: EHS Weekly Report
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 02:30:00 -0800 (PST)

EUROPE, INDIA and ASIA
 
Dabhol Power Plant Visit )  Tentative date for Alan Stringer and Bal Wong to 
visit Dabhol Plant is the week of Nov. 13.  

UK ) Isle of Dogs New Project ) Supporting Engineering Services in 
preparation of EIA and IPPC permit application. 

Guam, Marianas Plant - Bal Wong identified minor valve leaks noted during 
weekly site SPCC inspection.    The October '00 monthly environmental report 
was submitted to EPA.    Two electrical deficiencies were identified and 
corrected during a safety inspection.   

CALME

EcoElectrica Environmental -  EcoElectrica submitted a request to modify its 
Puerto Rico Environmental Quality Board construction permit to make the 
construction permit and EPA PSD permit consistent. The plant management is 
preparing a plan to request modifications to its current EPA PSD permit and 
currently preparing its Title V operating permit.   Marc Phillips, Gus 
Eghneim and Donnie Willmann will review the Title V Permit. 

EcoElectrica Safety -  Donnie Willmann  will assist  EcoElectrica to identify 
training requirements based on OSHA 200 requirements and Enron Guidelines.

Panama San Francisco Site -  Removal of impacted soils is completed.  
Confirmation sampling results from the excavated areas are expected to be 
available this week.  If results indicate no contamination the areas will be 
backfilled with clean soil.

SOUTH AMERICA

Brazil/Bolivia, GOB-GOMT Environmental Audit / HSE Audit Follow-up -  Edgar 
Zuleta will coordinate the safety audit follow up to the Brazilian sector of 
the Cuiaba gas pipeline project starting on November 6. 

Bolivia, Transredes - Edgar Zuleta organized and conducted NG and LPG safety  
"Train the Trainer" training to selected Transredes locations. David Miller 
from Enron ESS group assisted. 

OEC / NORTH AMERICA

2001 Safety Action Plan  -  Scott Watson  presented to OEC  management the 
Facilities 2001 Safety Action Plan.  

Brownsville, TN Enron OEC Facility- Scott Watson conducted an EH&S Audit at 
the Brownsville Facility on Nov. 30 - 31. 

2000 Peakers, Due Diligence  ) Gus Eghneim continues to prepare responses to 
questions received from potential buyers of the 2000 Peakers.  Responses will 
be submitted to Enron legal department.

EES Military Installation Proposal - David Ronkainen met with Stephan Laroche 
to provide him with information about the operation and maintenance of 
sanitary sewers, pump stations and various wastewater treatment processes.  
Stephan is preparing an Enron proposal to provide O&M utility services to 
U.S. military bases.

OEC Peaker Plants Hazardous chemicals report/notification - Gus Eghneim 
discovered the peaker plants use acid-lead batteries containing sulfuric acid 
and lead in quantities (aggregated) over the above regulatory thresholds.  
Appropriate reports were submitted to the state and local emergency response 
agencies for all peaker plants on October 31, 2000. 

REGULATORY TECHNICAL ANALYSIS

Texas Railroad Commission (TRC) Spill Cleanup Guidelines -- Jim Peterson 
provided information to ETS on new versions of two Texas Railroad Commission 
spill cleanup guidelines, one for condensate and the other for crude oil 
released into non-sensitive areas.  The condensate guideline will be replaced 
when the TRC issues their RBCA guidelines.

Texas Emission Reduction Credits (ERCs) - Marc Phillips provided Janel 
Guerrero with information about the fact that ERCs will be devalued on 
December 6 (permit applications using ERCs should be submitted by November 22 
to be administratively completed before December 6). He also provided 
information to her about the non-attainment and trading regulations that 
apply to power plants in east Texas.

Bammel Engines - Marc Phillips attended a meeting with HPL and ENA to discuss 
starting four engines at Bammel. The engines would be used to compress gas 
for delivery to a gas-fired power plant that is scheduled for the Houston 
area in 2002. This is a very complex issue since Emission Reduction Credits 
were generated when the engines were shut down and there are non-attainment 
regulations for the Houston area that will be finalized on December 6. 

Natural Gas STAR Program - Marc Phillips provided information to Scott 
Vonderheide in Investor Relations about the Natural Gas STAR Program

ETS Greenhouse Gas Emissions Credits - Marc Phillips attended a meeting with 
ENA and ETS about the possible sale of greenhouse gas (methane) emission 
credits from ETS to ENA's traders. The value of the transferred credits would 
be about $10,000 and the trade would promote the idea that greenhouse gas 
credits have value. ETS is considering their offer.

INGAA NSR Task Group - Marc Phillips at ETS's request is heading a newly 
formed INGAA Task Group on New Source Review (NSR). In the first conference 
call for the group the history of NSR as it relates to the utilities and 
pipelines, the Appeals Board decision against TVA, and the anticipated Core 
Program were the major issues discussed. It was decided that the group should 
set up a meeting with the turbine vendors, decide on a long term plan to 
address the NSR issue, and prepare a NSR primer.

Construction of OSHA 200 Logs - Russell Tucker is leading the project to 
create the OSHA 200 Logs and supporting documents for the Houston Enron 
complex embodying the years 1995 through mid 1999.  All affected employees 
have been identified and the conquest for obtaining the supporting documents 
has begun with the assistance of Travellers Insurance.

Enron Office Ergonomic Program - Russell Tucker provided Mike Terraso with an 
implementation plan for the integration of the developed Enron Office 
Ergonomic Program on a global bases. Information from NAM indicates Congress 
will allow OSHA to publish a final rule on its Ergonomic Program in the FR 
around November 13 to the 17, 2000.

RSPA Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) - Russell Tucker is reviewing a 
just released NPRM that would amend the Hazardous Materials regulations to 
maintain alignment with international standards. 

GREENFIELD CAPITAL PROJECTS

RioGen/Eletrobolt PPs (Brazil)- Joe Kolb arranged a meeting to discuss 
rerouting the pipeline. The consensus was that the orphanage/school must be 
avoided.  Other routes are under consideration.  Dealing with public safety 
concerns may end up being most important aspect of choosing another route.  

Powertel - It appears the project will have minimal environmental impacts 
because the cable is being suspended aerially from the existing electric 
transmission towers and is being buried only at substations.  Joe Kolb is 
sending a list of comments and questions to Mr. Jain for his response.  Due 
to the high level of safety risks associated with stringing the fiber cable 
above live wires, Joe forwarded the materials to Henry Van.  Also, Enron 
India is planning to string 1,600 miles of cable in another state. 

ACQUISITIONS

Privatenel (Nicaragua) Power Plant Privatization -  Enron is still pursuing 
the project.  RAC has reviewed the model, requested clarification and has 
received the clarification comments.  Enron has informed ENEL that we want to 
discuss changes to certain contracts.  No bid date has been set.  Enron legal 
risk has issued a matrix for review.

Project Crane (Quebec, Canada and Port Angeles, Washington Pulp and Paper 
Acquisition -  Enron did submit a non-binding bid for Quebec City.  We are 
currently in negotiations over the terms of our bid and there is at least one 
other bidder.  No further due diligence is planned at this time.

Project INGA (California and Pennsylvania Power Plant Acquisition) - George 
Schaefer informed Don Stevens that Enron met with the seller's agent this 
week to negotiate various details.  The DASH has not been sent for approval.  
It is anticipated that document signing will take place the third week of 
November.

CWT Thermo-Depolymerization (EES New Technology) - Don Stevens is preparing 
an environmental issues matrix for the various feedstocks which may be used 
in the process.

Project Delta - Don Stevens has completed the review of Dames & Moore's 
Preliminary Environmental Reviews of four potential underground natural gas 
storage well locations.  The proposed locations are in the states of 
Washington, Utah and New Mexico.

Project Toucan (Acquisition of GA Pacific Pulp and Paper Mills) -  Don 
Stevens assisted in the due diligence site visit of Leaf River on October 29 
- 30, 2000.  A follow-up meeting on the Team's findings was held on October 
31, 2000.  Enron will be sending a small Team to Woodlands on November 6, 
2000 to investigate the issues regarding labor contracts and proposed state 
regulations concerning timber cutting.  Should the Team find that these 
issues can be overcome, the full Team will conduct a site visit possibly the 
following week.

Massey (JV Coal Mine) - Enron currently owns property (jointly with 
undisclosed partner) adjacent to an existing coal extraction mine owned and 
operated by Massey.  Enron would like to enter into a partnership with Massey 
to extract the coal from the undeveloped site via the existing mine.  The 
undisclosed partner would hold a 40% "silent" interest, Massey 40% and act as 
operator, and Enron 20%. The due diligence has already been conducted.  
Before the deal completed RAC review, Massey had a major spill of coal 
slurry, resulting in contamination of surface waters and intake systems in 
northern Kentucky.  Susan Worthen was contacted by RAC to evaluate the 
potential cost of cleanup with Massey's estimation of damages and if they 
will likely remain on an operator's banishment risk.  Susan is coordinating 
the evaluation with Dave Nutt/Frank Smith, Jim Alto (mining consultant 
involved in the due diligence) and Bill Giuliani (Enron commercial manager).

DEPARTMENT PROJECTS

EHS Web Site - The development of the web site is moving , and it looks like 
it will be launched by December 1st. 

Telework/NEPI Program - Gavin Dillingham has been in contact with the 
National Environmental Policy Institute (NEPI) and has set up a meeting for 
November 15 to discuss the opportunities for Enron to earn emissions and tax 
credits by participating in a nation wide teleworking program. This program 
through NEPI may also be applied to Enron,s possible development of vanpools 
and Enron providing 100% subsidies for Metro bus riders. 

Clean Energy Incubator - Gavin Dillingham  met with Bruce Stram to talk about 
the opportunities and possibility of Enron developing an incubator to assist 
inventors/entrepreneurs of clean energy technology bring their products to 
markets.  Bruce conveyed that he did not necessarily think that EES would be 
interested.  
Quantitative Risk Module - Don Stevens has learned that Enron contracts has 
conducted initial telephone conversations with ThermoRetec's legal 
representative.  A conference call is scheduled for November 3, 2000 with 
Enron contracts, ThermoRetec legal and Don Stevens to discuss the issues of 
the contract.  The inability to negotiate the contract by Strategic Sourcing 
has caused approximately a 6 week delay in the project.

VOLUNTEER ACTIVITIES/COMMUNITY RELATIONS

Solar Panel Donation - Joe Kolb reports that the panels and a cash donation 
have been made to the Armand Bayou Nature Center for the Buffalo Exhibit.  
The tentative date for their arrival is November 13.  

OTHER

Pilko and Associate Sustainability Forum - Susan Worthen represented Enron on 
a sustainability forum sponsored by Pilko and Associates.  Other industry 
reps were from the petrochemical industry and included Ashland, Shell 
Chemical, Dow, and BASF.  Attendees shared experiences and insights to 
sustainability programs.  It has not yet been determined if the forum will 
continue. 

Transredes - Lauren Goldblatt is coordinating an Enron/Transredes conference 
call to discuss Transredes plans to engage the international NGOs on 
Transredes' expansion/looping project.  Lauren has already advised Transredes 
that they should not proceed and that we should discuss internally the full 
ramifications of such actions.

ADVOCACY

Pipeline Safety Legislation:  members of Congress have backed off efforts to 
pass the Senate (McCain) legislation in appropriations legislation, and most 
attention is being paid to an "executive action," which was released shortly 
by the White House over the weekend.    The Executive Order, suggested that 
DOT move forward on liquid and gas regulations that include strong pipeline 
integrity, R&D, and community right-to-know provisions, coupled with release 
of a final pipeline integrity rule for liquid pipelines.

Renewable Energy Incentives:  Stacey Bolton testified at two California 
Energy Commission workshops addressing how incentive monies for renewable 
energy should be allocated (about $1MM per/month stake for EES in the 
customer credit program alone).  Stacey will be submitted written comments.

Environmental Disclosure:  Stacey Bolton is preparing comments on the TX PUC 
staff's proposal for label calculation and a voluntary credits system.  
Stacey is working w/ ENA and EES to get their input/feedback on the proposal.

NOx SIP Call:  Mary Schoen is participating in IN SIP workgroup to advocate 
for fair treatment for new sources and energy efficiency set-asides.  Ongoing 
development in TN and IL.  Trying to re-establish priorities with originators 
based on sell of generation assets.  

Power Quality:  Mary Schoen is working with industry workgroup on development 
of new distributed generation permitting regulations in TX.

COMPETITIVE INTELLIGENCE/BUSINESS SUPPORT

Climate Change:  Jeff Keeler met with the director of the Climate Neutral 
Network (CNN), an organization of companies who are looking to certify their 
products/services as having no impact on the climate.   Enron is a member of 
the Network as a provider of services/technologies for companies who want to 
become climate neutral.    CNN is also working on several projects that could 
be of benefit to EES and EGM efforts to measure, certify and trade GHG 
emissions credits and risk management products.   We will be organizing 
meetings for CNN in Houston over the coming weeks.

Renewable Energy Credit Trading:  Stacey Bolton met with ENA West Desk to 
help them analyze some aspects of an RFP bid to Seattle Power.    The West 
Desk is interested in development of a National Credit Trading Program, and 
they discussed the strategic advantages of developing a REC desk.

Power Quality: Stacey Bolton met with members of the new EES group -- 
"premium power"  (Doug Condon and John Berger) to discuss their interest in 
CA incentive monies for distributed generation and renewables, and the 
direction of their group.   Jeff Keeler is working on finalizing consultant 
arrangements that would assist EES and other Enron units in obtaining federal 
and state assistance for distributed generation/power quality projects.  Mary 
Schoen is working with the Power Quality group to help them understand the 
air quality and permitting procedures for a planned DG project in GA.