Subject: FINAL DRAFT - Greenpeace letter
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 07:33:00 -0700 (PDT)

Steve:

Attached is the final draft of our response to Greenpeace's letter on climate 
change.  I'd like to discuss the follwing when you get a moment -- 

Enron Europe PR and Government Affairs has reviewed and OK'd the letter, but 
there is a debate over one sentence concerning whether we should support 
"creation of enforceable, multilateral obligations" on CO2.   I've 
highlighted the sentence in the attachment, and proposed language which 
softens that statement a bit.   While intellectually it would probably be 
impossible to have meaningful global action without enforceable commitments 
by all countries, saying so outwardly (especially to Greenpeace) could be 
sticking our necks out a bit too far.

Mike and I were also hopeful that you might get a chance to run this by Ken 
Lay before we send -- that's your call, of course.

I'll try to reach you this afternoon to dicuss.

Jeffrey Keeler
Director, Environmental Strategies
Enron
Washington DC office - (202) 466-9157
Cell Phone (203) 464-1541