Subject: EPA AA for Air Appointment
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 03:15:00 -0800 (PST)

Linda:

I have revised my memo on Chris Hessler, my recommendation for the AA for Air 
slot at EPA, based on some recent developments.  If you have forwarded on to 
Ken Lay, please send this new updated version.

Because Gov. Whitman's credibility and clout in the White House has been 
damaged somewhat in the last week beacuse of the Bush announcement on CO2, 
her recommendation of Chris Hessler for this job may be taken less seriously.

We are hearing that C. Boyden Gray's choice -- Jeff Holmstead -- is becoming 
a more serious candidate for the job, based on his more conservative 
credentials.  Senator Inhofe's choice is no longer considered in the running 
at all.

My recommendation is still that we back Hessler.  We have nothing to lose:  
1)  we are supporting Whitman (which could help our initiatives at EPA).  2)  
we are supporting Hessler -- if he gets the job, we have a great relationship 
with the key EPA air person, if he doesn't, he's still the key Senate staffer 
on Clean Air and can help us tremendously.

If you have any questions or concerns, please call.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeffrey Keeler
Director, Environmental Strategies
Enron
Washington DC office - (202) 466-9157
Cell Phone (203) 464-1541