Subject: EHS Weekly Report Ending 03/08/01
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 04:47:00 -0800 (PST)

ADMINISTRATIVE/ GENERAL

US EPA -  Mike Terraso and Jeff Keeler met with the current acting EPA 
Assistant Administrator for Air and his staff in Washington.  Jeff reviewed 
the a proposed plan and cooperative solutions for multi-pollutant air 
emission regulations.

World Resources Institute - Mike Terraso and Susan Worthen reviewed WRI 
initiatives and potential research utilization regarding greenhouse gas 
inventory mechanisms and EHS value to bottom financial line accounting 
techniques with Jonathan Lash, president of WRI. 

National Environmental Policy Institute Summit Meeting - Mike Terraso, Jeff 
Keeler and Marc Phillips participated in the NEPI meetings in Washington.  
New US EPA Administrator, Governor Christi Whitman was the keynote speaker 
and outlined the administration plan for developing common ground cooperative 
mechanisms with industry, state and local governments to achieve 
environmental goals.

2001 EHS Performance Targets -  All assets responded with their concurrence 
and some requested more stringent improvement targets.  Henry Van distributed 
the 2001 EHS Performance Targets to asset management, including Rebecca 
McDonald. Donnie Willmann met with Mariella Mahan to discuss 2000 EHS 
performance statistics and proposed 2001 EHS performance targets for 
facilities under her responsibility.  Donnie followed up with asset 
management to obtain their concurrence with recommended goals.  

Corporate Responsibility Booklets - Several copies of booklets that were made 
to communicate corporate responsibility-related policies to new employees 
were provided to the London office for similar use and dissemination.

Corporate Responsibility Market Opportunity Sub-Committee - Susan Worthenn 
and Gavin Dillingham attended the Market Opportunity Sub-Committee chaired by 
Gene Humphrey.  Recommendations were made to invite Lou Pai to the next 
meeting to determine synergies of this sub-committee and his new group.

EUROPE

UK, Enron Metals Henry Bath UK - Alan Stringer reviewed final groundwater 
monitoring results and determined the need and level of remediation required 
to remove potential contamination source(s).   Estimated completion by April 
2001. 

Netherlands, Enron Wind - Alan Stringer supported Enron Wind in the 
acquisition of a blade manufacturing company.   Supervised soil and 
groundwater investigation and prepared cost estimates for haz-waste disposal, 
raw material and storage up-grades. Also identified EHS management system 
improvements.   Alan continues to provide additional assistance to develop an 
action plan and cost estimate to address all EHS issues identified during due 
diligence survey.  Estimated completion date is March 15,  2001.   He may be 
required to assist in the EHS management improvement process.  
 
UK Enron Rassau ) Potential Power Plant Development Project ) Alan Stringer 
supported decision making in determining whether to cancel geotechnical and 
soil quality  site investigation due to a "foot and mouth" outbreak (cattle 
very infectious disease in the UK).  He consulted with  UK Government and 
recommended postponing field work until infected areas are safe.  He will 
follow up with UK authorities on when is safe to conduct field work.  

Spain, Arcos and Mora Power Plant Development Projects ) Alan Stringer 
supported the UK engineering team and PR team, with support from Gus Eghneim 
on public opinion on air quality issues. No further action expected.

UK Environmental Reporting ) Alan assisted Enron UK Operations in meetings 
with KPMG (management consulting firm expert in electricity generation) on 
how to report environmental issues to UK electricity generation regulator 
OFGEM.

ENRON GLOBAL ASSETS
(Central America, South America, India and Asia)

Brazil, Cuiaba Pipeline and Power Plant Projects - Edgar Zuleta completed the 
EHS audit follow-up report for the Cuiaba pipeline and power plant projects 
and submitted to Laine Powel, Project Director.

Southern Cone - Edgar Zuleta completed the review of the Operations Audit 
action items  monthly reports for Transredes, GTB, Calife, and EPE.  He is 
currently working with these companies to resolve issues.  

Bolivia, Transredes Crisis Management - Edgar Zuleta conducted an assessment 
of the Incident Command System (ICS) for crisis management.  New Transredes 
Crisis Management procedures will follow the ICS structure.  He also 
continues to prepare Transredes Crisis Management process under  ISO 
standards.

Bolivia, Gas Oriente Boliviano - Gas Oriente Boliviano requested Edgar Zuleta 
to assist in the preparation of a Crisis Management Plan required by the 
operation license process.  The work began this week.  

India, Dabhol Power Company (DPC)  -  Alan Stringer and Henry Van are 
reviewing environmental remediation support that could be offered to DPC.   
Alan requested a copy of the ThermoRetec assessment report from Ram 
Subramanian.  Awaiting confirmation from DPC for Alan to attend the 
ThermoRetc presentation in Mumbai on March 19 where potential remediation 
alternatives will be discussed. 

Batangas, Subic,  Dabhol, Marianas, SK-Enron - Reviewing latest Operational 
Audit recommendation status to ensure that EHS issues are addressed at these 
.  

Guam, Marianas Energy Company - Bal Wong conducted an EHS new employee 
orientation and  Oil Spill Emergency Response Plan training for operation,s 
Department Group A.  Clarified the safe use of suspended platforms. Conducted 
safety inspection of fire extinguishers, eye washing stations, emergency 
showers, electric outlets and ladders.  Completed the February Environmental 
Report and submitted to Marianas Energy Company management.  

ENRON ENERGY SERVICES

EES - Distributed Power Generation ) Gus Eghneim is continuing to provide 
permitting support to the distributed power generation team.  Several 
generation facilities are planned for year 2001.

Barge Oil Spill, Brooklyn, New York ) Bill Curra and Gus Eghneim prepared the 
oil spill report. The report was reviewed by operations and legal prior to 
submittal to the U.S. Coast Guard and other regulatory agencies. 

Mobile Energy Services Company ) Scott Watson scheduled to implement his 
devised EHS Transition Plan as well as to conduct an EHS Audit at this 
facility by mid March +2001.

Chemical Hygiene Program  -  Scott Watson continues devising a Chemical 
Hygiene Program to be implemented at all operated OEC Facilities as well as 
Enron North America Assets.

Eli Lilly Project, EES ) Scott Watson, Henry Van and Bill Curra are preparing 
the EHS Policies and Procedures Manuals and Training Program.  The Eli Lilly 
account includes utility delivery service for 5 facilities. 

REGULATORY TECHNICAL ANAYLSIS

TNRCC Seminar on Cap and Trade Program - Marc Phillips attended a seminar put 
on by TNRCC on the cap and trade program under the Houston non-attainment 
regulations.

NAM Ergonomics Task Force Action - Russell Tucker served on the NAM task 
force to develop the strategy to influence Congress to use the Congressional 
Review Act to repeal the OSHA Ergonomics Program final rule. The implemented 
plan is now recognized as a deciding influence in Congress' action to send a 
repeal measure to the President, who has indicated it will be signed. The 
results will translate into the ergonomics regulation having "no force or 
effect."  No organization will have to comply with it. No state-plan states 
will be required to adopt any similar rule, and no further litigation over 
the validity of the rule will be required. It is expected all business and 
labor petitions against OSHA will be withdrawn and/or dismissed in the next 
several weeks, a large money savings for the trade associations in itself. 

GREENFIELD CAPITAL PROJECTS

Project Calypso (Bahamas LNG and Pipeline) ) Don Stevens has scheduled a site 
visit with Dave Glessner (Development Engineer) to conduct an environmental 
phase I due diligence on the proposed property location of the LNG facility 
in Freeport, Grand Bahamas Island on 3/13/01 ) 3/15/01.  Susan Worthen 
advised Dave on the merits of including a section on noise in the Bahamian 
Environmental Impact Assessment and suggested what actions needed to be 
analyzed in order to make an evaluation of the potential noise impacts.  Mike 
Terraso and Susan Worthen met with Ted Ryther and Bill Kendrick of the ETS 
EHS group to discuss environmental support services for the project.  
Currently, the project does not have an environmental manager to oversee the 
environmental consultants and provide day-to-day support.

ACQUISITIONS

Orion Refining Corporation (Norco, Louisiana) - Don Stevens has learned from 
Doug Leach that a draft contract from Morgan Stanley is expected in the next 
couple of days. Once Doug has the draft contract he will make any 
changes/additions he would like to include and will forward it to the team. 
Upon our receipt and review Doug has promised a reply in 48 hours as to 
whether we could be competitive or not with the Morgan offer. Even if we are 
not competitive with Morgan Stanley and Orion would like to work with Enron 
on anything that would benefit both parties.

Project Orange (Orlando, Florida) - Don Stevens conducted a site visit on 
3/6/01 - 3/7/01 in order to complete an Phase I Environmental Site Assessment 
of the facility.  This is a potential equity stake in an existing 
cogeneration plant that would allow Enron to capitalize on a reverse tolling 
agreement for natural gas.

Project INGA (PN coal-fired power plants and CA cogen plants) - Don Stevens 
has learned the project is back in review.  One facility (Mt. Poso) has been 
dropped from consideration.  The deal consideration is for $92MM.

ReoGen / Electrobolt - Don Stevens provided comments to the Phase II 
Environmental Site Assessment for the project.  The purpose of the assessment 
was to quantify potential contamination of the site prior to construction.  
No significant contamination was found and recommendations by the local 
consulting firm to install groundwater monitoring wells were communicated to 
the project team as "optional" depending on local real estate custom/practice.

DEPARTMENT PROJECTS 

Quantitative Risk Module ) Don Stevens has been informed that the project is 
moving forward.  ThermoRetec has informed that the phase I deliverable is 
scheduled for the week of 5/7/01.

EHS Web Site ) Gavin Dillingham met with Vern Vallejo of Enron Networks to 
discuss the launch of Phase II of the EHS Website. It appears that Phase II 
can be ready by September. Gavin is currently asking for suggestions and 
ideas to improve the website and collecting data to complete content "blanks".

Telework/NEPI Program ) Gavin Dillingham is preparing for a meeting with HR 
Work Perks, Sally Alvarez and Sarah Davis and NEPI,s Elham Shirazi concerning 
teleworking at Enron. The meeting is to help familiarize Enron Work Perks 
with the current telework pilot program that NEPI and HGAC is launching in 
the Houston area and to see if Enron would like to participate in such a 
program. The consulting to develop a telework program is provided as a free 
service through federal government funding and HGAC and NEPI have been given 
this federal funding. The meeting will be on March 15th.

Hybrid Vehicle Program ) Gavin Dillingham has been working with Bruce Martin 
concerning Enron,s purchase of new hybrid vehicles. It appears that Enron 
Corp. will purchase three of these vehicles.
 
Asset/Project Tracking Database - Gavin Dillingham is currently enhancing the 
Asset Tracking Database to include more information. The information fields 
that are being added will track power plant capacity, liability concerns, 
costs, operator, % ENE owned, actions and costs. 

GAO EHS Performance Measures Database ) Gavin Dillingham is currently working 
with Enron Networks and Scott Cleverly to determine the feasibility of fixing 
the current database and the time frame involved in fixing the database. 
Scott believes that a new version of the database will be functional by the 
end of March. The current main focus on this project is to develop a database 
that has enhanced reporting flexibility. Gavin has sent out an email to all 
who receive reports from this database, to determine the formats of the 
needed reports. 

Cell Phone Recycling - Gavin Dillingham is working with Charla Reese in 
Community Relations to start a cell phone recycling campaign. The cell phones 
will be gathered at Enron and donated to a group called CARE, a non-profit 
environmental and human rights group. CARE will then sell the phones to 
CollectiveGood.com who will refurbish or recycle the phones and then resell 
the phones at a 50% discount to communities in Latin America. Gavin will also 
be contacting Verizon and Cingular to see what they do with their phones. 

Dow Jones Sustainability Group Index - Gavin Dillingham is currently working 
with Lauren Iannarone to evaluate various sustainability indexes, such as Dow 
Jones and Innovest and determine potential value to Enron should try to be 
listed on this index. 

VOLUNTEER ACTIVITIES/COMMUNITY RELATIONS

Enron Earth Day Festival ) Gavin Dillingham had a meeting with Trash Bash 
yesterday and today to discuss the bayou cleanup challenge coming up on March 
31st. Currently, there is a committee that is looking for volunteers and is 
coordinating the logistics of the clean-up.

Susan Worthen
Director
Environmental Compliance, Enron Corp
713/646-6579  713/345-6164 fax
3AC 1525