Subject: Update & Request
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 00:53:00 -0800 (PST)

Good Morning Jan. Hope you had a nice weekend. 
Just wanted to give you an update on some work I did over the weekend and ask 
for your assistance on finding some information.

UPDATE:

1. I went into the firechief.com webpage and could not find your Ad. Would 
you please check into this and make sure they post it ASAP, especially since 
our time frame is quite tight. Also, have we considered posting the Ad on the 
International Fire Chiefs webpage as well? The International Fire Chief 
webpage is fantastic and would likely reach a much wider audience.

2. I spent a few hours on the internet this weekend looking at numerous web 
sites related to fire departments/associations. I compiled a list of 
decorated fire chiefs and fire chiefs on various fire related boards, 
committees, etc... (for example, I downloaded the international fire chiefs 
directory and board members of the Metropolitan Fire Chiefs Association.) 
Let's try to get together after my meeting this morning with Dennis or this 
afternoon and go over the list.

ASSISTANCE:

1. I'd like to compile some information on past Houston fire chiefs. 
Specifically, their backgrounds and some history - especially information on 
the problematic fire chiefs (Swartout). I've started the list and included 
below. Would you please take the lead in completing this list?

Christopher Connealy, Mayor Lee Brown
10/2000-present, acting HFD Fire Chief
20-year department veteran
assistant fire chief, YEARS?

Lester Trya, Mayor Lee Brown
3/98-10/2000
10/2000 resigned his position as HFD Fire Chief in mutual agreement with the 
mayor
1974-1991 - President of Houston Professional Fire Fighters Association
29 years as Houston Firefighter, 27 of which were on the union board

Notes:
- Father retired fire inspector, son is firefighter
- Management style described as fiery and combative and well known for 
strongly worded attacks on chiefs and mayors
- leave of absence until January, when he will return to the department, 
probably as district fire chief

Eddie Corral, 

Robert Clayton, Mayor Kathy Whitmire
1985-1992, HFD Fire Chief

Swartout, 

Specifics of the 3 1/2 month tenure of Fire Chief Swartout
- This will be very important since consensus is to seek an outsider. What we 
should focus on here are the issues/concerns raised when he was named, the 
criticisms upon his sudden departure and very importantly what were his 
reasons for leaving?

Who was Chief before Swartout?
background?

Thanks for your help Jan. I'll give you a call sometime around 10am to see 
what your schedule is like today . I'll talk to you then!

Lisa 
713-345-4840 (office)
713-569-9563 (cell)