Subject: Executive preview of HP Portal
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 06:56:00 -0800 (PST)

Dear Steve,

This week George Wasaff, Allan Sommer, PriceWaterhouse, and I showed Rick 
Buy, Rick Causey, and Philippe Bibi the HP portal demonstration.  Each 
reacted favorably. We are scheduled to show Cindy Olson next week.   Sound 
bytes below.  

Philippe Bibi ) 2/28/01
Philippe said, &I like this.  Let,s get a proposal from PW.8

&This portal initiative must be justified not on savings, but on 
functionality.  Savings is zero value.  Soft savings are impossible to 
measure.  Bridge the firewall.  Marie, Allan, and George put together a cost 
analysis.8

Rick Causey ) 2/27/01
Rick said the HP portal, &hits the nail on the head.  Let me know how it goes 
with Philippe, matter of fact I will try and attend tomorrow,s meeting with 
Philippe.8

Rick Causey would like to attend the HP off site visit with Steve.  Further, 
he suggested if Philippe concurs, he would like Steve, Philippe and him to 
meet with Jeff Skilling to pitch the project.  George Wasaff suggested he 
include Mark Frevert in this meeting. 

Rick Buy 2/27/01
Rick had a favorable response to the HP portal.  He sees the HP portal as a 
productivity exercise.

More Sound Bytes from Executive Sponsor Follow Up Meetings

Philippe Bibi ) 2/28/01
After PW reviewed a number of portal applications, Philippe said they were 
good but not difficult.  He requested to see transaction process and single 
sign on applications.  PW showed Philippe their Travel application.  PW 
emphasized this was the only way employees could schedule travel.  
Previously, employees would call the 800 number and incur a ~$100.00 charge.  
The online portal applications reduced the charge to $12.00.

PW emphasized Chrysler was spending $200.00 million per year in training.  
The portal provided a skills inventory application which resulted in reducing 
the training expenditures down to $100 million per year.  Philippe could see 
how this would be of value in a blue-collar environment but could not see the 
value in our environment. 

Philippe asked PW if they could demonstrate an application which was not 
something shrink wrapped off the shelf.  PW showed him their stock option 
application and the training application.  

PW emphasized HP had 83 autonomous Business Units which needed to be united 
under this portal.  Every day 90% of HP global employees access the portal.  
Why?  The portal is the only way to access a number of job related 
applications.  

Philippe asked about ad hoc reports.  He said Enron has a problem getting ad 
hoc reports.  He said canned reports are not very useful.  Further, he cannot 
get a quick ad hoc report of all the consultants currently billing and at 
what expense.  

Philippe said the ability to get in to SAP is a drawback.  How did HP address 
applications that were not web enabled?  Content management tools like iClick 
and interwoven were used as delivery mechanisms for making enhanced 
applications available via the web.

Philippe said this is a vehicle to pull together travel, ibuyit, Paine 
Webber, Benefits, facilities, aviation, conference/video calls.  What about 
the guy who is doing trading, logistics, settlements, transactions with the 
pipelines?  Could this portal provide for that person?  Philippe sees the 
only benefit for this person would be the single sign on.  

Philippe said, &Let me stress three things:  1)  we have a series of 
initiatives click@home, IM Task Force, Data Repository 2)  Enron is not that 
disciplined.  We don,t want to get in the middle of policing publication of 
information over the web (Per Clay, Interwoven allows other BU/Fus to 
publish), 3)  From an infrastructure perspective, the number of servers we 
run as far as web servers, we run them clustered.8

This portal initiative must be justified not on savings, but on 
functionality.  Savings is zero value.  Soft savings are impossible to 
measure.  &Bridge the firewall.8  Marie, Allan, and George put together a 
cost analysis.  

Use PW as the catalyst.

Philippe said we would need processes around security.  Philippe would like 
to understand how HP did this.  Philippe would like to see how to gap the 
bridges.  He is in favor of taking customer applications and making them 
available from a single sign on.  

Philippe recommended Allan Sommer, George Wasaff and Marie Hejka get together 
and come up with about 80% of the cost analysis information which otherwise 
might have been developed during the two day workshop.  Philippe recommends 
stopping other projects and focusing on this project. 

Rick Causey 3/01/01
Rick said the HP portal, &hits the nail on the head.  Let me know how it goes 
with Philippe, matter of fact I will try and attend the meeting.8

Rick Causey would like to attend the HP off site visit with Steve.  Further, 
he suggested if Philippe concurs, he would like Steve, Philippe and him to 
meet with Jeff Skilling to pitch the project.  George Wasaff suggested he 
include Mark Frevert in this meeting. 

Rick see a few hurdles 1) getting buy in from all the companies 2) getting 
buy in from Jeff Skilling 3) getting buy in from the technical side.  

Also, noted is that Carly stopped 30 plus projects of web development to 
focus on this effort.  

The portal should include a forced information space to introduce new portal 
applications.  

Rick Buy 3/01/01
Rick had a favorable response to the HP portal.  He sees the HP portal as a 
productivity exercise.  How productive can this portal make Enron employees?  
Rick sees the single sign on, single launch pad as valuable.  PW reviewed to 
Rick the value in cost savings 1) headcount reduction 2) hardware reduction 
3) duplicate site reduction.