Subject: BCCA Legislative Effort in 2001
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 05:40:00 -0800 (PST)

The Business Coalition for Clean Air (BCCA) has formed a new Legislative 
Subcommittee to lobby for our alternative to the State Implementation Plan 
(SIP) about to be finalized by the Texas Natural Resource Conservation 
Commission.  Joe Allen will be on the committee locally, and Jeff Keeler will 
be on the Washington, D.C. side of the same committee dealing with federal 
SIP matters such as tax incentives and EPA intervention.  I will provide 
backup to Joe's participation and continue as chair of the economic impact 
group given a continuing need for new analysis as new scenarios are proposed 
and debated in 2001.

The BCCA alternative SIP has several key features:

 * 65 mph instead of 55 mph

 * no morning construction and lawn equipment ban

 * 80% reduction for point sources instead of 90%

 * no "boutique" fuel requirement before the federal fuel standard comes into 
effect in 2004.

The BCCA believes that these control measures are extremely costly and would 
lead to a no growth scenario for Houston and that, importantly, a more 
realistic modelling day reduces the amount of NOx reduction that the 
8-country area needs to achieve compliance by 2007.  [Barton Smith will speak 
to the economic analysis at a 12/13 (Wednesday) luncheon at the Hyatt 
downtown--I have a table if anyone would like to attend.)]

The Legislative group is hiring lobbyists in Austin to try to pass a 
legislative package as part of the alternative plan.  The major elements are:

 * tax incentives for on-road and off-road vehicles to clean up

 * money for new modelling studies to match federal funds received from Tom 
Delay

 * incentives and subsidies for new inspection/maintenance requirements; 
vehicle scrappage; low-income
   vehicle repair

 * a vehicle registration fee standard based on emissions

 * a later start for public schools (after Labor Day)

Finally, there has been very little movement by the TNRCC towards the BCCA 
alternative SIP with December 6th coming up, especially regarding choosing a 
new air modelling day or period.  Litigation could be likely.

- Rob