Subject: Re: Arbitration with Reliance and ONGC
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 00:49:00 -0700 (PDT)

Are you aware of this?
---------------------- Forwarded by Steven J Kean/HOU/EES on 08/01/2000 07:49 
AM ---------------------------

Sanjay Bhatnagar@ENRON_DEVELOPMENT
08/01/2000 12:23 AM
To: Steven J Kean@EES
cc:  
Subject: Re: Arbitration with Reliance and ONGC

---------------------- Forwarded by Sanjay Bhatnagar/ENRON_DEVELOPMENT on 
08/01/2000 12:23 AM ---------------------------

Delivery Failure Report
Your document:	Re: Arbitration with Reliance and ONGC
was not delivered to:	steven kean
because:	User steven kean not listed in public Name & Address Book

What should you do?
You can resend the undeliverable document to the recipients listed above by 
choosing the Resend button or the Resend command on the Actions menu.  
Once you have resent the document you may delete this Delivery Failure Report.
If resending the document is not successful you will receive a new failure 
report
Unless you receive other Delivery Failure Reports, the document was 
successfully delivered to all other recipients.

EI-NINET01/ENRON_DEVELOPMENT, EI-NINET01/ENRON_DEVELOPMENT, 
EDC_NMAIL01/ENRON_DEVELOPMENT

________________________

To: Jeffrey Sherrick/Corp/Enron@ENRON
cc: Joseph W Sutton/ENRON_DEVELOPMENT@ENRON_DEVELOPMENT, Rob Walls, steven 
kean, Wade Cline/ENRON_DEVELOPMENT@ENRON_DEVELOPMENT, Jimmy 
Mogal/ENRON_DEVELOPMENT@ENRON_DEVELOPMENT
From: Sanjay Bhatnagar/ENRON_DEVELOPMENT
Date: 08/01/2000 12:08:55 AM
Subject: Re: Arbitration with Reliance and ONGC

Jeff:

This is all Ok after the fact but I would have expected that we would have 
discussed this before action was taken. 

For the record, I would not advise calling this an arbitration BUT mediation 
and I would work with senior government officials and politicians ahead of 
time to control the fall out that may come about especially since Parliament 
is in session right now.

I will advise our PR group to say nothing to the press but route all queries 
to you.

sanjay

Jeffrey Sherrick@ENRON
07/31/2000 06:19 AM
To: John Ambler/ENRON_DEVELOPMENT@ENRON_DEVELOPMENT, Larry 
Morse/Corp/Enron@Enron, Mike Stewart/Corp/Enron@ENRON, Sanjay 
Bhatnagar/ENRON_DEVELOPMENT@ENRON_DEVELOPMENT, Michael J 
Smalling/HOU/ECT@ECT, Stephen Wallace/Corp/Enron@ENRON, Wade 
Cline/ENRON_DEVELOPMENT@ENRON_DEVELOPMENT, Rick Phillips/Corp/Enron@Enron
cc: Rob Walls/NA/Enron@Enron, James Derrick/Corp/Enron@ENRON, Steven J 
Kean/HOU/EES@EES, Joseph W Sutton/ENRON_DEVELOPMENT@ENRON_DEVELOPMENT, Pam 
Benson/ENRON_DEVELOPMENT@ENRON_DEVELOPMENT, Christina Grow/Corp/Enron@ENRON 
Subject: Arbitration with Reliance and ONGC

I was in India last week meeting with partners and we all agreed that the 
best thing to do to move ahead regarding the old unrecovered cash calls 
("joint interest billings") was to file an arbitration proceeding and get an 
objective  third party to settle the issue.  As you know, Reliance and ONGC 
owe EOGIL approximately  $7.1 and $10.3 million, respectively (including 
interest on non-payment).  The arbitration notices reflected only the 
non-payment numbers which are $5.8 and $7.3 million for RIL and ONGC 
respectively.   We finalized the drafting and dated the notices on July 29th 
and we delivered the official notice during business hours Monday July 31, 
2000.  This was the final step in a very long effort to resolve this issue in 
other means, but as I noted to the OOC after the June meetings this was the 
only solution in the end.   While nobody likes to file arbitration, the good 
news is in the end all parties seen this as the only solution and as best as 
I can tell, at least internally ONGC and Reliance support this decision.  If 
the issue gets external, I don't know how any of the parties will respond.  
Our goal is to keep it as low keyed as possible, but this is India and I 
would expect someone to try to make a big issue out of it.

I will be in contact with John Ambler today to discuss the details of the 
submittal and to prepare for any response to the media that may be 
necessary.  While both parties were expecting the notice, it may leak into 
the media over the next few days.  Please defer any questions or comments to 
either John Ambler, Larry Morse or myself regarding this issue.  Until John 
advises us otherwise, our comment will be as follows;

" The parties (ONGC, Reliance and Enron Oil and Gas India Limited) have had a 
dispute on certain cost items and together we have agreed it is best for the 
joint venture to have this dispute resolved by an independent third party 
using the guidelines as set forth in the Joint Operating Agreement."

Mike Smalling in our office will coordinate this matter with John Ambler and 
the appropriate staff.   I will be available to respond if necessary and my 
contact numbers are as follows;

office-713-853-5934
pager 888-493-1770
cell 713-569-4713
home 281-320-2198

Larry, please make sure our office understands that only you are to comment 
on this and any other official E&P business in India and Wade/Sanjay would 
you share this note with the appropriate people in your office so nobody is 
surprised if something comes up.  Mike Smalling, John and/or I will keep you 
informed of any  relevant events.

jeff