Subject: Re: All-Employee Meeting Report
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 11:00:00 -0800 (PST)

We have got to do better at this.  IR did a webcast of the annual meeting 
that from all reports had a minimum of glitches.  Can we use the same 
technology?

	Courtney Votaw
	03/13/2001 09:10 AM
		 
		 To: Steven J Kean/NA/Enron@Enron, Mark Palmer/Corp/Enron@ENRON, Karen 
Denne/Corp/Enron@ENRON
		 cc: Mary Clark/Corp/Enron@ENRON, Erin Rice/Corp/Enron@Enron
		 Subject: All-Employee Meeting Report

I have attached a success report of the streaming communications vehicles we 
used for the All Employee meeting on Feb. 21, 2001.  The report includes 
information about the following:

Video Teleconference
Audio and Video quality; Viewing employees

IP-TV
Statistics; Successes of the locations streamed

Video Requests
Quantity by location and group

To improve access and increase the employee's viewing experience at future 
meetings,  we are working with the IP-TV technical team to find solutions to 
the problems that occurred in February.  From the employee feedback we 
received, we will plan to send slides in advance to the video teleconference 
locations.

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding this report.

Thanks,
Courtney