Subject: Re: Thanks & Questions
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 10:17:00 -0700 (PDT)

I enjoyed talking with you the other day and am happy to answer your 
questions:  both the Texas position and the Washington DC position report to 
Rick Shapiro.  From a government affairs standpoint, I've divided the world 
between Rick's group (the Americas) and Mark Schroeder's group (Europe and 
Asia).  Both Rick and Mark report to me.

Joe Allen continues as part of the Texas legislative team, working for the 
head of that group (formerly Kathleen Magruder).

Terry Thorn has taken a commercial position in Enron and no longer works on 
government affairs issues for the company (except to the extent we call on 
various executives to help from time-to-time).

"Untermeyer, Chase" <[email-masked]> on 08/31/2000 04:53:09 PM
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
cc:  

Subject: Thanks & Questions

STEVE: I very much appreciate your call the day before yesterday and your
asking if I would like to compete to succeed Joe Hillings as head of Enron's
Washington office. Although until that moment I hadn't thought of returning
to Washington except to serve again in national office, I would be pleased
to talk further about this opportunity with you or your recruiter.

In recalling our conversation, I realize that twice you asked if I had any
questions, and if I had been quick to take advantage of your offer, I would
have asked how government relations are handled at Enron. To whom does Joe
Hillings report: to you or to Terry Thorne? You mentioned a woman who
currently has responsibility for government relations in Texas and some
neighboring states but is leaving for another job at Enron; to whom does she
report? Then there is Joe Allen, whom I have known since our days in the
Legislature; doesn't he (also) handle Texas affairs?

I am sorry I didn't ask you all this on Tuesday. Whatever the answers, it's
clear that government relations are  much more central to the work of Enron
than at Compaq, which is why it would be a very exciting place to work.
Thanks again for your call, your courtesy, and your indulgence with this
tardy line of questioning. With best wishes, CHASE.

CHASE UNTERMEYER
Director of Government Affairs
Compaq Computer Corporation
P.O. Box 692000-110706
Houston, Texas 77269-2000
Tel: (281) 518-1093
Fax: (281) 518-1106
[email-masked]