Subject: Re: ACTION ALERT -- ELECTRONIC MONITORING
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 01:04:00 -0700 (PDT)

I am going to copy Phillippe Bibi (Chief Technology Officer) and Cindy Olson 
(EVP-HR).  Please put someone in touch with Chris.  Thanks

   

	From:  Chris Long                           09/12/2000 04:09 PM

To: Steven J Kean/NA/Enron@Enron, Maureen McVicker/NA/Enron@Enron
cc:  

Subject: ACTION ALERT -- ELECTRONIC MONITORING

Steve - Can you please direct me who in Houston should be notified about this 
legislation...my guess is someone in HR.  

Thanks - Chris

---------------------- Forwarded by Stephen D Burns/Corp/Enron on 10/12/2000 
02:14 PM ---------------------------

Larry Fineran <[email-masked]> on 09/12/2000 02:06:44 PM
To: 
cc:  

Subject: ACTION ALERT -- ELECTRONIC MONITORING

URGENT ACTION REQUESTED

On Thursday, September 14, the Subcommittee on the Constitution of the House
Committee on the Judiciary is slated to consider H.R. 4908, the Notice of
Electronic Monitoring Act.  H.R. 4908 is sponsored by Subcommittee Chairman
Charles Canady (R-FL-12) and cosponsored by subcommittee member Bob Barr
(R-GA-7).  The bill would require employers to notify employees about
electronic monitoring.  The National Association of Manufacturers urges its
members to notify their employees about internal monitoring practices.
Nevertheless, H.R. 4908 is being placed on a fast track that could allow for
many unintended consequences.  The NAM urges you to contact the Subcommittee
on the Constitution at (202) 226-7680 and subcommittee members (see below)
to urge postponement.

Message:

The September 6 hearing on H.R. 4908 was not well advertised and did not
include the views and concerns of employers.

Because of the nature of computers and other electronic equipment, any
"electronic monitoring" bill has to be carefully written so that it does not
interfere with other fiduciary and legal responsibilities of employers.

This is far too important an issue to "rush through" the process.

For more information, call Larry Fineran at (202) 637-3174 or e-mail him at
[email-masked].
Subcommittee Members:

Charles Canady (R-FL-12), Chair -- (202) 225-1252
Henry Hyde (R-IL-6) -- (202) 225-4561
Asa Hutchinson (R-AR-3) --   (202) 225-4301
Spencer Bachus (R-AL-6) --  (202) 225-4921
Bob Goodlatte (R-VA-6) --  (202) 225-5431
Bob Barr (R-GA-7) --  (202) 225-2931
William Jenkins (R-TN-1) --  (202) 225-6356
Lindsay Graham (R-SC-3) --  (202) 225-5301

Mel Watt (D-NC-12), Ranking Member -- (202) 225-1510
Maxine Waters (D-CA-35) --  (202) 225-2201
Barney Frank (D-MA-4) --  (202) 225-5931
John Conyers (D-MI-14) --  (202) 225-5126
Jerry Nadler (D-NY-8) --  (202) 225-5635