Subject: RE: FW: We have a leak
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 00:42:00 -0800 (PST)

Shapiro is just unwilling to accept the fact that his guy is a very scary guy 
... enough to scare away lifelong democrats.

I got your voicemail.  Thanks for following up. We would be looking for a 
contract relationship only, not full time.

----- Forwarded by Steven J Kean/NA/Enron on 12/04/2000 08:39 AM -----

	Richard Shapiro
	11/30/2000 09:37 AM
		 
		 To: Steven J Kean/NA/Enron@Enron
		 cc: 
		 Subject: RE: FW: We have a leak

???
---------------------- Forwarded by Richard Shapiro/NA/Enron on 11/30/2000 
09:37 AM ---------------------------

"Foster, Gary" <[email-masked]> on 11/30/2000 09:11:46 AM
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
cc:  

Subject: RE: FW: We have a leak

I believe that Steve has been won over only for political (as in corporate
politics) reasons but once he gets in the voting booth, he's still with you
and Melissa.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2000 9:18 AM
To: Foster, Gary
Cc: Rick and Amy Shapiro (E-mail); Steve and Melissa Kean (E-mail)
Subject: Re: FW: We have a leak

Thanks- you got it about right .....except that Kean's Democratic
credentials are seriously in question these days as are his " liberal-
minded" credentials. You may have won over an individual  who can now
clearly  be categorized as a lost soul.

"Foster, Gary" <[email-masked]> on 11/30/2000 08:07:18 AM

To:   "Rick and Amy Shapiro (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>, "Steve and
      Melissa Kean (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>
cc:

Subject:  FW: We have a leak

steve and rick-
mark halperin is the political director at abc -- the smart guy sitting to
peter jennings's right all night on election night who knew everything. his
brother is a speechwriter at the nsc. you'll see below his recommendation
of
mark katz and his number.

i also emailed peggy noonan to ask for any ideas. haven't heard from her
yet. she's been very busy writing some of the more brilliant commentary on
the current situation which i'm sure hasn't been allowed into the shapiro
empire.

speaking of stock prices, what the hell happened yesterday? i'm still a
stock holder (very small) so pass my bitches along to koenig.

-----Original Message-----
From: Foster, Gary
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2000 8:42 AM
To: 'Halperin, Mark'
Subject: RE: We have a leak

what do you mean 'on principle'? there couldn't be a better issue for a
clinonista to stand for than busting up monopolies' hold on the little
people. actually enron's government affairs office is run by a bunch of
democrats and they just hired summer's  congressional person at treasury to
run their d.c. office. is your brother still at the nsc?

katz is the person i was thinking of. i'll pass his name along. thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Halperin, Mark [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2000 4:22 PM
To: 'Foster, Gary'
Subject: RE: We have a leak

after re-reading your original email (the first words of which were that i
should share it with sam and gma) i felt a little less bad on my own....it
was still dumb...and our secret is safe..keep sending them

by brother is very funny...i'm not sure he would do it on principle...but i
can ask...the person to ask is mark katz...who wrote for clinton and
gore...very funny..very automatic...use my name...let me know if there is a
problem  212-496-7013
-----Original Message-----
From: Foster, Gary [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2000 9:30 AM
To: Halperin, Mark
Subject: RE: We have a leak

your level of apologizing was not necessary but after re-reading my initial
email i can see where you could be mistaken that i was upset. i'm not. i
just don't want to break one of the only flows of insider information that
i
have left -- even if it's into a has-been.

but while i have you gravelling, you could do something for me. i just got
a
call from my old boss at enron and he is looking to hire someone as a
consultant who specializes in humor writing. they want to try a humorous
approach in taking on the monopoly utilities in the battle over electricity
deregulation. do you know anyone in the clinton administration who has been
responsible for some of the president's humorous speeches? or anyone that
fits this bill? what about your brother? it seems like i read a profile of
one of them recently who was leaving. the only republican i can think of is
landon parvin who has been around forever.

-----Original Message-----
From: Halperin, Mark [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2000 8:49 AM
To: 'Foster, Gary'
Subject: RE: We have a leak

two people here did stupid things (first me, by in a hurry giving
instructions to my colleague about what to do with the information;then my
colleague for sending it to somebody untrustworthy)

so: i apologize...being in a hurry is no excuse for being careless.....

here's the silver linings:

1. gma seems to have gotten it some other way later in the day, so from
there point of view, they aren't focused on where it came from
2. there is literally no one at abc who knows i know you
3. i give you my word that i will never be at all careless with anything
from you again, and won't let even one person have access to
emails/information from you...the person in this case doesn't know it came
from you (or jb for that matter, since i had already taken her name and
your
name off of it)

again, i'm sorry.....i have zero tolerance for such carelessness, and
pleading being overwhelmed with work on the story is no excuse

ps: i hope you saw jamie's interview...it was priceless

-----Original Message-----
From: Foster, Gary [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2000 8:37 AM
To: Halperin, Mark
Subject: FW: We have a leak

when i said 'pass along', i only meant the information, not the entire
email. i'm not going to fess up if you and everyone else who has it doesn't
reveal their source.
-----Original Message-----
From: Jean Becker [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2000 7:33 PM
Subject: We have a leak

Everyone at ABC has a copy of the last e-mail I sent everyone concerning
President Bush's appearances on the morning shows tomorrow.

We have a leak.

I suspect someone in total innocence is forwarding my e-mails to friends
and
family, etc.  I need for all of you to take a very careful look at your
forwarding lists and think about where this leak might be.  If you think
you
know where the leak is, please, please let me know.

If we can't find it, these e-mails will cease and desist.

Jean

P.S. In case you were wondering, yeah, ABC is not happy.