Subject: Resource Allocation Working Group
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 08:51:00 -0800 (PST)

Msg. from Rick Shapiro

I know how eagerly everyone is awaiting the formation of the Resource 
Allocation Working group*.  Below is a brief description of the group's 
purpose and initial steps we will be taking.  I want to thank everyone in 
advance for what I know will be a successful effort.

What this group is about:       Identifying best practices within Public 
Affairs for prioritization of efforts and allocation of resources and 
documenting the best practices for implementation as soon as possible 
throughout Public Affairs.

How we're going to do it:  Quickly and efficiently.

Why we're doing this:  Because we have finite human and financial 
resources.... because we have an obligation to direct those finite resources 
to their highest and best use.
  
When we're going to start this process:  Initial meeting in Houston, January 
7, 2000 from 8:00am - 11:00am (call in participation is perfectly acceptable).

What's required for initial meeting:  A one page or less description of how 
your group prioritizes its efforts; how both human and financial resources 
are allocated, and how all of this fits within your budgeting process (should 
be distributed to all group members two (2) days prior to meeting).

Finally:  I am attaching material that my group has used over the last year 
to implement a resource allocation/issue priortization process.  I will 
provide a more detailed explanation at the initial meeting.  Please feel free 
to call me if you have any questions before then.

*  You've either been nominated or selected, or volunteered for this working 
group.  Congratulations.

Copy of E:mail sent on 12/15/99
Please read the attached memo from Rick Shapiro along with the attachments.

Thanks.

Copy of E:Mail Sent on 10/19/99
Please see the attached Word document for directions on a new on-line 
procedure for RCR's.  All RCR requests must now be submitted on-line through 
the Project Tracking system.  To access the system, click on the first link 
below, and a new icon will be added to your Lotus Notes desktop (it has a 
picture of a globe).  (Don't click on the other two links, they'll be added 
automatically.)    If you have any problems accessing the system, please call 
me.  If you have any questions on entering the information, please call me or 
Ginger.  Thanks!!

Click on this link  -->     > Gov Affairs
 > Projects
 > Contacts

Instructions:  -->  

Copy of E:mail sent on 8/25/99
Upon further reflection after the recent staff meeting, I have made the 
determination that any and allengagements of outside resources, e.g., outside 
counsel & consultants, public relations firms, etc... must be approved 
through the Resource Commitment Review (RCR) process.  Accordingly, the $2500 
trigger that had been in place is no longer.  To ensure that the process 
works in a more timely manner, I am creating weekly RCR meetings (Harry, Jim 
& myself) at which all pending RCR's will be acted on.  I will deal with 
emergency RCR's as they may arise between the weekly meetings.

Bottom line, the RCR process is of enormous value to the group as it helps to 
document that we are properly focusing the company's resources in the places 
where it is of most value.  I firmly believe that whatever minor 
inconveniences this change will entail, they are minor in relationship to 
ensuring the success and credibility of the RCR process.

Memo sent on 3/18/99