Subject: Re: Working Groups
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 00:20:00 -0800 (PST)

Terry, etal -

In response to Terry's comments, I have prepared an outline of what I think 
the Regulatory Risk Managment & Assessment Working Group will do.

Key tasks:

1. assist with the completion of the Regulatory Risk Management Process
 - do we have the right information
 - is the process leading to the right conclusions
 - etc.
2. act as chief liason for my group in Houston with the people in Government 
Affairs throughout the world
 - explain the process
 - explain the purpose
 -  help with questions from Government Affairs people thoroughout the world
3. act as Audit "device" for Mitigation plans
 - make sure that the Mitigation plans are followed through on by responsible 
party
4. provide oversight for "risk" assumptions
 - act somewhat as a neutral third-party for reasonableness of basic 
assumptions
 - ensure that the broader political context is captured in the modeling
5. other
 - ???

In terms of work load, I would hope that once the process is up and running, 
the work load will be minimal.  Clearly I would like the Working Group to 
stay informed of Enron's current Regulatory Risk position, but I don't think 
that this will be more than some overviews and responses to questions from my 
direct team.

Given this structure, I would hope that people with political knowledge and 
regulatory expertise are included.  For this effort, I need a team of people 
who understand every region of the world (or at least know how to find out 
about a specific country).

I hope this helps.  

Thanks,

JDS

Terence H Thorn@ENRON_DEVELOPMENT
12/14/99 05:22 PM
To: James D Steffes@EES, Jose Bestard/ENRON_DEVELOPMENT@ENRON_DEVELOPMENT, 
Nicholas O'Day/ENRON_DEVELOPMENT@ENRON_DEVELOPMENT, Richard Shapiro@EES, 
Harry Kingerski@EES, Scott Bolton@ENRON COMMUNICATIONS, Hap Boyd@ENRON, Joe 
Hillings@ENRON, Ricardo Charvel@ECT
cc: Steven J Kean@EES 
Subject: Working Groups

We've all been looking carefully at the working group lists trying to decide 
who belongs on what group,  what the focus of the groups will be, and where 
they can bring expertise and make the greatest contribution or perhaps be 
involved in a new area that will add to their knowledge and experience. Since 
Steve wants to finalize the groups close of business Friday,  it would be 
great if each of you could put out a brief description of the working group 
or Maureen could put out a composite that includes answers to these questions:
What will be the primary focus of the group? What types of issues will be 
dealt with?  What type (skills, experience, perspective) will you be looking 
for? For example, Joe Hillings has a huge 41 company association working on 
the WTO/Energy Services negotiations that draws and involves people across 
Enron.  Joe- what will be the focus of this new group and what incremental 
value do you see it adding. Is there one special area that isn't being 
addressed? Or are you formalizing the informal group we already have working 
in this area?  Is the plan to sign up for a group and then collectively 
decide what to work on? Quite simply, what's the charter?

Others questions that we can discuss together on Friday include:  Who is the 
customer for the work product? If an area of compensation/performance 
evaluation is based on the success and participation in these groups,  who 
decides if the product is valuable or the group was a success? How do we 
determine the greatest value project? Where is the interface with the 
commercial people? Isn't  the bottom line contribution the ultimate 
determinator of success? How do we seek and involve people outside Houston 
who aren't involved in a topic area, someone like Stella Chan in Korea or a 
member of the India team? People who would benefit from greater exposure both 
for their growth and contribution.

We have a wonderful opportunity with the consolidation of these groups to 
formalize a system that transfers knowledge and experience across Enron. We 
also have tremendous existing work loads, we are some what resource 
constrained so that participation in these groups has to make a high value 
contribution to Enron's commercial challenges.  These are great general 
topics with strong  leaders.  Let's take the next step and zero in on the 
details.