Subject: Thursday Meeting on Winter Gas Prices
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 04:01:00 -0700 (PDT)

Ken:

I have invited the following individuals to join us at the 3 pm Thursday 
meeting to review the draft of your Columbus speech on the natural gas 
situation.

Hamd Alhkayat--Hamd has replaced Andrew Miles in the rotation and will be 
helping me with your presentations as well as being the lead with Jeff's 
speeches.

Shelley Corman--Shelley has been developing messages for the current and 
anticipated gas situation and pipeline safety for the gas pipeline group.  
(The safety issue could come up in your Q&A.)

Stinson Gibner--Stinson is with the research group that has generated some of 
the more complex slides in your draft dealing with volatility and historic 
futures pricing.

Gil Muhl--Gil markets gas products to customers and is speaking at an AGA 
conference on the gas supply and price situation the day before your talk.  
His group is focusing on new products to help end-users with winter 
volatility.  I have asked Gil to send you his presentation as well for the 
meeting.

Back to your presentation (the draft slides of which I am delivering to you 
today), Dan Yergin thought it would be appropriate for you to give an 
overview of the situation as the "teacher" or "professor."  Some questions 
that you could address would include:

Where has the industry come from, and what lessons have we learned?

How is the business different today?

What public policy conclusions are implicit in this history?

I think our comparative advantage over the specialists who will be presenting 
before and after your keynote is that you have "been there" in the evolution 
of the natural gas market, and Enron is at the forefront of helping customers 
deal with price and supply uncertainty.  There is also a good opportunity to 
stress the need for new industry "best practices" (more hedging) and the 
right public policies to deal with this issue (from "do no harm" to expanding 
incentives in the market).

- Rob