Subject: Davenport banquet
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 10:05:00 -0700 (PDT)

Ken, my deepest thanks again for attending and speaking at the Davenport
Society banquet program this Friday night.  At the end of this e-mail is
your portion of the "script" for this event.  The entire script will be in a
notebook at the podium.

Besides introductions (primarily some of our students who will be there),
the program will include remarks from the chancellor, the induction of new
members of the Society, announcements of other large new gifts, and some
musical entertainment.  Jack and Mary Bush of Dallas, Texas are co-chairs of
the Davenport Society this year.  Both are MU alums.  Jack retired several
years ago as president of Michaels Store, the large arts-and-crafts
retailer; he's now involved in retail and e-commerce consulting.

We will have at least 225 alumni, business people from the area, university
leaders, faculty, staff, and students in attendance.  A couple reminders:
It is black tie.  And the event is being held at the Reynolds Alumni Center
on campus, with reception at 6 and dinner at 7.  We intend/hope to end by
9:30.

You will be introduced by Jack Bush.  As you can see below, we have allotted
about 10 minutes for the keynote talk.  The starting time for your talk is
approximate, but we strive to stay on schedule.  Last Friday, I responded to
an e-mail from Rob Bradley regarding your keynote talk.  He indicated that
he would be preparing the talk.  (Rob, would you confirm that you received
my e-mail of last Friday.  Thanks.)

Then we will have another 10 minutes or so devoted to the announcement of
the Pinkney Walker Professorship.  As you can see, I'll introduce this part
after thanking you for your keynote remarks.  The professorship plaque that
will hang in the foyer of Middlebush Hall (and, soon, Cornell Hall) has
arrived so we will be able to show it to the audience and to Pinkney.  We'll
have it on stage and I'll hold it while you read the wording (see below).

If you desire, you can add personal comments about Pinkney after reading the
inscription on the plaque.  If you want them placed in the podium script,
just have them sent to me via e-mail; likewise, with any changes or
corrections to the portion below.  Of course, you can speak extemporaneously
about Pinkney or bring prepared remarks about him with you.  Then we'll
allow Pinkney to say a few words.  It should be splendid.

By the way, during the dinner, you will be seated with Pinkney and his wife
Sheila, Dulari Mehta (a College of Business student from the Dallas area who
is hosting the Walkers, who are new Davenport Society members), Richard
Schwartz (dean of A&S), and Michael Kateman and Lindsay Lopez (both from the
A&S development office)

Of course, if you, Rob, or Rosalee have questions, you can call either my
assistant Carol Ritter or me at 573/882-6688.  See you Friday evening.
Thanks again.

8:21 - 8:31  KEYNOTE ADDRESS

Ken Lay:  [remarks]

[Bruce Walker joins Lay at podium.]

8:31 - 8:36  ANNOUNCEMENT OF P. WALKER PROFESSORSHIP

Bruce Walker: Thank you very much, Ken.

We are truly honored and grateful that you have returned to Mizzou this
evening.

At this banquet two years ago, Ken announced the start of a campaign to
establish an endowment in the College of Business in honor of Pinkney C.
Walker.

Ken, along with Harold Hook and Bob Pugh, agreed to lead the effort to raise
funds for this endowment.

Pinkney, would you please come up and join Ken and me.

Many of you are familiar with Pinkney.

Those of you who don't know Pinkney probably have 2 questions in mind.

Are these two Walker guys related?

And the answer is no.

Why does Pinkney Walker deserve such as honor?

Well, let me tell you a little bit about him.

A native of Graham, Texas, Pinkney's academic degrees include a bachelor's
from the University of Texas and an MBA and a doctorate from the Wharton
School at the University of Pennsylvania.

Pinkney's association with MU dates back to 1940.

Eventually, he became a professor of economics, who -- according to one
estimate -- taught as many as 40,000 students at Mizzou.

Pinkney also served as the college's dean from 1964 to 1971.

He left the university to become a member of the Federal Power Commission.

Now, he is enjoying the good life of a professor emeritus, residing in Fort
Myers, Florida, with his wife Sheila.

We knew the Pinkney C. Walker Endowment would be dedicated to building
excellence in the college.

But we didn't know if the endowment eventually would fund a scholarship or
two, faculty research, or a faculty position.

That would depend on how much money was raised.

Well, tonight, as Paul Harvey would say, Ken is back with the rest of the
story.

Ken. . .

Ken Lay: It is with great pride and pleasure that I can tell you
tonight that the Pinkney C. Walker Endowment has received gifts totaling
$550,000, which means it will fund a distinguished professorship in the
college.

Here is the plaque that will hang in Middlebush Hall and eventually will be
moved to Cornell Hall.

It reads:

Pinkney C. Walker Distinguished Teaching Professorship
College of Business

Established in recognition of Dr. Walker's teaching excellence
and his significant contributions as dean, public servant, and friend.

Endowed in 2000 by alumni and friends of the University of Missouri.

Pinkney, please accept our congratulations.

Would you like to say a few words.

[Pinkney Walker comes to podium]

8:36 - 8:41  PINKNEY WALKER PERSONAL REMARKS

Pinkney Walker: [Remarks]

[Jack and Mary Bush come to podium; Bruce Walker, Pinkney Walker and Ken Lay
return to seats.]