Subject: UH bandwidth
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 01:52:00 -0700 (PDT)

Ken,

I hope things are well with you.

I've taken on in the last year of my 6 year term the regents' chairmanship
and so I am busy working on how to help further accelerate the good things
that have occurred since we brought Art and his team to Houston.  In this
light, I read the recent article in the Wall Street Journal suggesting that
the Kuht-TV spectrum allotment includes substantial unused bandwidth which
we are legally permitted to lease to the private sector.  The Journal, based
on the recent UK auction, extrapolated the overall worth of the bandwidth at
$160 billion.  Needless to say, if we could realize a small fraction of
that, for something from which we currently derive nothing, it could be a
huge boost to our efforts to obtain the additional funding we need as we
move to Tier One status.

Since Enron is the leader in the market for bandwidth, I was hoping you or
someone at Enron could give us some advice on what we own, its value, if
any, and how we might think about realizing on any such value.  From Enron's
perspective, perhaps there is a niche market for Enron to make by helping
organize educational institutions that own such bandwidth to exploit the
value of that asset.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards.

Gary