Subject: Re: new commercial
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 04:55:00 -0700 (PDT)

Joe,

Here's a possibility.  Let me know what you think.

Dear Clayton,

Thanks for your note about our new television ad.  Our goal with the ad 
campaign is to increase Enron's familiarity and favorability with business 
and government opinion leaders.  We want to do that by communicating the 
innovative culture at Enron that always asks the question, "Why?"  When we 
heard businesses blaming poor financial performance on their inability to 
manage weather risks, we asked, "Why?"  We answered that with our weather 
derivatives product that helps companies protect revenues from unfavorable 
weather.  Now, many equity analysts and other investors are challenging 
companies that don't use weather derivatives as a risk management tool.

In order to get our message across in a cluttered advertising environment, we 
need to create compelling images to get that message accross.  The use of a 
traditional symbol (the old cork gun shooting gallery) applied in a 
non-traditional way (shooting down conventional wisdom) gets the point across 
very directly that traditional excuses don't "stand up" to today's markets.  
I think it's a powerful, and humorous, symbolic message.

I'm sorry if you're taking the reference to an old-fashioned game literally.  
I can assure you that no ducks or CEOs were harmed in the making of the 
commercial.  

Sincerely,

Joe Sutton

(Obviously, you can delete the smart-alecky last sentence.)