Subject: Re: N5737 Ken Lay's phone
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 03:42:00 -0800 (PST)

Gary, every time Ken tells me to report it, I tell Anna or Kristi and they, 
in turn, pass it on to whoever they deal with in Maintenance.  It has been at 
least 3 times.

Rosie

From: Gary Fitch on 11/20/2000 09:24 AM
To: Kenneth Lay/Corp/Enron@ENRON
cc:  
Subject: N5737 Ken Lay's phone

Mr. Lay, we are looking into the problem and hope to have the problem 
resolved ASAP. Thanks
P.S. Our best to you and your family this Thanksgiving.
----- Forwarded by Gary Fitch/HR/Corp/Enron on 11/20/2000 09:21 AM -----

	Keith Jones
	11/20/2000 08:47 AM
		 
		 To: Gary Fitch/HR/Corp/Enron@Enron
		 cc: Ronald Fain/HR/Corp/Enron@ENRON, John Stabler/HR/Corp/Enron@ENRON, 
Lyndel Click/HR/Corp/Enron@ENRON
		 Subject: N5737 Ken Lay's phone

Gary, 
Least I forget!  On N5737 the other day (11/18) Mr. Lay reported to Bill 
Reddick that when his phone (#2 R/H seat) rings and he answers that it 
disconnects on him.  He told Bill that this is the third time he has reported 
this problem.  I spoke personally with Bill about this.  We checked and there 
is no record of this problem reported recently (we checked back to May 2000) 
on all three Falcon 900's.

Lyndel checked the system and there does seem to be a problem with it 
disconnecting if you pick it up before the third ring.  After the third ring 
it works fine.  That is all I know at this time.  Garrett Av is coming over 
today to check the system.

I know you don't like emails but I didn't want this it slip by.  I've 
discussed this with Ron and John as well.

Keith