Subject: RE: Enron Metals Ltd (Enron Europe Office)
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 13:17:00 -0700 (PDT)

Ken,

This gentleman joined Enron Europe following our acquisition of MG PLC in early 2000. While I think it prudent for us to conduct an independent review (I have asked a member of Cindy's ER team to take a look at this), it does appear to me on first pass that he is essentially unhappy that we are not prepared to pay him 2 years pay in the event he voluntarily terminates his employment with us.

Just for clarity, I do not believe he is being asked to leave the company. In fact, as I understand it,  his extended illness prevents him from being focused on as a redundancy target. In addition, he along with several other Enron Metals employees do have more generous contractual notice periods in their UK employment agreements that do trigger a significantly higher sum in the event of termination than most of our UK employees (up to a years pay).

I will update you further when I have more information.

David
 -----Original Message-----
From: 	Fleming, Rosalee   On Behalf Of Lay, Kenneth
Sent:	Friday, October 19, 2001 6:11 AM
To:	Oxley, David
Subject:	FW: Enron Metals Ltd (Enron Europe Office)

Hi David -  for your handling.

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	"David Mortimer" <[email-masked]>@ENRON  
Sent:	Friday, October 19, 2001 4:48 AM
To:	Lay, Kenneth
Subject:	Enron Metals Ltd (Enron Europe Office)

Dear Mr Lay,

I write to you as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of The Enron
Corporation because I would like you to know that I am on my second period
of sick leave in a year due to work related stress.

A year ago I was apologised to by the Human Resources Department and told
that they would not allow it to happen again.  Through constant pressure and
the unfair way in which I have been treated, the advice of my doctor and
counsellor, as they are concerned with my health, was to accept the
voluntary redundancy which had been offered to my colleagues and myself
recently.

Though due to my exceptional circumstances I wrote the attached letter.

Today I received the attached response and I feel totally devastated that
Enron Europe will not compensate me fairly for how they have affected my
life and that of my family's.

I read in Enron's literature that you care about your employees and their
families, and feel that your code of ethics should have offered me
protection against the circumstances that I find myself in, but to my
complete and utter dismay I find this is not the case and  in my
experience I have suffered a great deal and this seems to have been totally
ignored in the response letter.  I haven't once been contacted by Enron
Europe to see how I'm coping and give me any support whatsoever.  They are
showing no care or concern for me or my family.

I write to you for help in this matter and to conclude this stressful
situation that I find myself in due to your company.

Under the circumstances and increased stress that the response letter has
put upon me, I would be most grateful if you would respond to me as soon as
possible.

Yours sincerely

David Mortimer
[email-masked]

 - Mr Chapman letter 14th Oct 2001.doc << File: Mr Chapman letter 14th Oct 2001.doc >> 
 - Enron Response.rtf << File: Enron Response.rtf >>