Subject: Yale Dinner for William McDonough, November 27, 2001
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 11:19:17 -0800 (PST)

Dear Ken,

As promised, here is some background for our off-the-record dinner
discussion on November 27 that the Yale School of Management is having to
honor Bill McDonough.

The evening will begin with my presenting Yale's award to Bill McDonough.
Bill will then make some personal remarks about the state of globalization
as he sees it. Gordon Brown will then respond. Following that, John Browne
will lead a discussion among all of us based on a question along these
lines:

"The world faces recession, terrorism, and large gaps between rich and poor
-- to cite just a few of the problems. To what extent is more globalization
the solution and to what extent is it the problem? (You may wish to refer to
such areas as finance, trade, energy, immigration. You could focus on more
liberalization or more regulation, or both.) Depending on your viewpoint on
the basic question, how do you see your own constructive role in
strengthening the global framework?"

We think this question will open up a wide range of intriguing insights.

Many thanks for thinking about it before the dinner.

For good order sake, here again are the logistics for the evening:

	National Portrait Gallery
	St Martin's Place
	London WC2H OHE
	Tel 44 207 312 2453 (Catherine Spoon)

	7:00 -7:45 p.m. 	Cocktails
				Tudor Galleries, second
				floor)
	8:00-10:00 p.m.  	Dinner/Discussion
				(Regency Room, second floor)

(The entrance to the Gallery is opposite Church of St. Martin-in-the-Fields,
to the north of Trafalgar Square, between Leicester Square and Trafalgar
Square)

Finally, would you kindly give us your final reconfirmation of your
attendance by putting an "X" next to the appropriate answer below and
replying to this e-mail??

			[   ]  I reconfirm attendance.

			[   ]  I will not be able to attend.

Best regards,
Jeff Garten
Dean, Yale School of Management