Subject: Duchess of Northumbria's request
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 09:20:00 -0700 (PDT)

Ken

Thanks for sending me the request from the Duchess of Northumbria for help 
with her garden project.  I have discussed this with John Wakeham and our 
view is that unless you have any other reason for helping with this, we 
should say a polite "no".

The background is summarised on the attached briefing note from Mike O'Neill, 
Managing Director of Lurgi Invent.

Alnwick Castle is several hundred miles out of the Wessex region so it really 
is difficult to justify any Wessex help.  Lurgi Invent has done a little work 
for the Duchess in providing water features for the garden.  However, this 
business currently loses o1 million a year so we would be reluctant to see 
any sponsorship out of Lurgi Invent.

Given the nature of the project, the approach from the Duchess and the fact 
that she can clearly afford to pay for it herself, we really do believe no is 
the right answer.

Please let me know if you want any further information or if you want me to 
correspond direct with the Duchess.

Best wishes.

Colin