Subject: Interview for World Economic Forum
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 04:46:00 -0800 (PST)

Ken -- You are scheduled to do a 30-minute telephone interview on Thursday at 
9:30 a.m. with Heidrick & Struggles, which is publishing a journal for the 
World Economic Forum meeting in Davos in January 2001.  This publication will 
cover corporate leadership and human capital issues in the new economy.  They 
want to talk to you for a chapter on "Leading a Transformation into the New 
Economy."   The interviewer will be Stephen Miles, and he has submitted the 
following questions in advance of your conversation.  I will come to your 
office at 9:30 a.m. to place the call.

Thank you.
Karen 

 1. Enron over the past decade has become the most vigorous change agent
 in its industry.  From a leadership perspective, how have you created a
 culture of change in an industry not known for change?

 2. Nortel Networks has clearly made an outstanding transformation into
 the New Economy, similar to Enron's evolution. In Nortel's case, John Roth
 bought Bay Networks and infused the Nortel culture with Bays - almost a
 reverse cultural transformation.  How did you create a New Economy culture
 where innovation, risk-taking and new ideas are embraced and rewarded?

 3. Are there some best practices you can share with other CEOs and
 Managing Directors regarding leading a change?

 4. At best, change is difficult. But being able to change before you
 have to has only been accomplished successfully by a few companies.  How
 did you lead a change effort when you were arguably still a very
 successful utility?

 5. Peter Drucker has said than in stable time you need good management
 but in disruptive times you need leadership.  How have you been able to
 attract and retain what Fortune magazine has called the best management
 team?

 6. The New Economy is really all about creating a culture of
 innovation, where employees see opportunity and not barriers. Enron has
 been masterful at this from gas, to electricity, pulp & paper, and now
 bandwidth. As the "keeper of the culture" how did you establish and
 maintain such a culture?

 7. As Enron moves away from Plant, Property and Equipment towards
 Intangible Assets, what has changed for you as a leader in the age of
 intangibles?

 8. Can you list the four or five "must have" competencies for the 21st
 Century CEO? What experiences are necessary?

 9. Lets talk about going global. You have made very impressive in-roads
 in India where no other utility has been able to. How did you lead this
 effort? Are there any best practices you can share with your fellow CEO's
 who are thinking about India?

 10. Lets now move to Europe. Enron is the largest gas and power trader
 in Europe. Can you discuss your move into Europe? Again are there some
 best practices for CEOs in the USA moving into Europe?