Subject: Visit of Prime Minister Vajpayee: San Francisco Cancelled
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 20:05:00 -0700 (PDT)

Dear USIBC Members and Friends, 

We regret to inform you that the Indian Prime Minister, Atal Bihari Vajpayee, 
and his accompanying delegation will not visit San Francisco due to 
unforeseen health reasons, and thus all scheduled USIBC events on September 
11 are cancelled.? You may refer to the article at 
http://www.siliconindia.com/shownewsdata.asp?newsno=4953&newscat=Technology 
for further details.? 

According to the changed schedule, the Prime Minister will reach New York on 
September 7, 2000, and the Washington D.C. program will remain unchanged.? 
The U.S. - India Business Council will host events in Washington D.C., 
including a Commercial Dialog and other Members Only events described below.? 
Interested members or prospective members may also contact Rick Rossow via 
e-mail at [email-masked] or by phone at (202) 463-5323 for further 
information. 

We sincerely appreciate the efforts of all members and friends to date, and 
hope to see each of you in Washington, D.C. 
Sincerely, 
Kate Sherwood 
======================== 
Katherine R. Sherwood 
Director, West Coast Office 
U.S.-India Business Council 
250 Montgomery Street, 14th Floor 
San Francisco, CA 94104 
Tel: 415-986-1914 
Fax: 415-986-1915 
E-mail: [email-masked] 
Website: http://www.usibc.com 

Dear Members & Friends: 

The meetings organized in San Francisco on Sept 11 have been cancelled due to 
the Prime Minister's poor health.? However, the program for the Sept 14 - 
Washington, DC portion of the Prime Minister's visit to the United States are 
being finalized.? We have had to work around the schedules of U.S. Commerce 
Secretary Norman Mineta, who is leaving for Chicago mid-afternoon, and Prime 
MInister Vajpayee, who is busy until the late afternoon.? Here is the updated 
agenda:

_________________________ 

Main Track 

Participation at the Commercial Dialogue & Prime Minister Reception will be 
limited to one representative per company, except for corporate sponsors and 
in cases where your company will be represented by the Chairman, Vice 
Chairman, President or CEO, in which case a second participant will be 
allowed to staff.

10:00am:? U.S. Chamber of Commerce: Live broadcast of Prime Minister 
Vajpayee's address to joint session of Congress (see below). 

10:30am:? U.S. Chamber of Commerce: U.S.-India Commercial Dialogue meeting 
begins, with U.S. Commerce Secretary Mineta, Indian Commerce Minister 
Murasoli Maran, and other U.S. & Indian Gov't dignitaries.

12:30pm: U.S. Chamber of Commerce: Luncheon program, keynote by U.S. 
Government TBD* 

? 2:00pm: U.S. Chamber of Commerce: Sectoral panel discussions, confirmed 
attendees include U.S. Department of State, U.S. Department of 
Transportation, USAID, and other U.S. Government agencies

? 5:00pm: U.S. Chamber of Commerce: U.S.-India Business Council Reception 
with Honorable Murasoli Maran and U.S. Government dignitaries.

___________________________________ 

Congressional Track: 

Seating at the following events is extremely limited.? The USIBC plans to 
hold a small number of seats for these events for sponsors of the U.S.-India 
Commercial Dialogue & Commerce & Industry Minister's reception later in the 
day at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

10:00am:? Capitol Building: Prime Minister Vajpayee addresses joint session 
of Congress. 

12:30pm:? Capitol Building: Congressional Caucus on India Affairs hosts 
luncheon with Prime Minister Vajpayee (invited guests only)

___________________________________ 

There are sponsorships available for the Commercial Dialogue & Prime 
Minister's reception at $15,000 each.? Sponsors will receive a variety of 
benefits, including:

Preferential seating assignments at seated portions of meeting;
Private meetings with Indian Government officials (pending availability);
Logo on signage & printed materials;
Speaking role for senior officer of sponsoring company;
2 Free tickets for representatives of sponsoring company;
Tickets for Prime Minister address to Congress and India Caucus luncheon 
(pending availability).

Please respond to Rick Rossow with any questions.? We expect registration to 
begin at the end of this week or early next week, once we have a final list 
of Indian & U.S. Government dignitaries expected to attend.