Subject: [Fwd: IRS Proposed Regulation of Speech on Nonprofit's Internet Sites]
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 00:59:00 -0800 (PST)

FYI

Jack Clark

sims1.rcsntx.swbell.net (Sun Internet Mail Server 
sims.3.5.2000.01.05.12.18.p9) with ESMTP id 
<[email-masked]> for clark97@sims-ms-daemon; Wed,  6 
Dec 2000 23:37:37 -0600 (CST)
Received: from imo-r12.mail.aol.com ([152.163.225.66]) by 
mta1.rcsntx.swbell.net (Sun Internet Mail Server 
sims.3.5.2000.01.05.12.18.p9) with ESMTP id 
<[email-masked]> for [email-masked]; 
Wed, 06 Dec 2000 23:35:44 -0600 (CST)
Received: from [email-masked] by imo-r12.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v28.34.) id 
2.5a.e02fe16 (7402); Thu, 07 Dec 2000 00:36:52 -0500 (EST)
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 00:36:52 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: IRS Proposed Regulation of Speech on Nonprofit's Internet Sites
To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Message-id: <[email-masked]>
MIME-version: 1.0
X-Mailer: AOL for Macintosh sub 146
Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000

Clients and friends:

    Nonprofit organizations that maintain websites will want to know that the
IRS is considering regulating nonprofit Web speech.  Public comments are
being sought by the IRS on these proposed new rules for nonprofits.

    The Internal Revenue Service has released "Announcement 2000-84"
soliciting public comment on possible new regulations for charities, think
tanks and educational organizations.

    Among the questions the IRS is addressing in its review of exempt

organization's speech on their Internet sites is:

"Does providing a hyperlink on a charitable organization's website to

another organization that engages in political campaign intervention result

in per se prohibited political intervention?"

"To what extent are statements made by subscribers to a forum, such as a

listserv or newsgroup, attributable to an exempt organization that

maintains the forum?"

"Does a website constitute a single publication or communication? If not,

how should it be separated into distinct publications or communications?"

House Majority Leader Dick Armey, R-Texas, has issued a statement

condemning the IRS' consideration of new regulations for the Internet.

"The IRS has no business getting involved in whether a think thank has

links on its website, or how often a charity's site is updated," he said.

"The idea of turning the tax man into a Net cop would have a chilling

effect on free speech on the Internet. I'm glad the agency has not taken

any regulatory action yet. But let's be clear about this. We will be

watching what they do, and we will not tolerate any backdoor attempt to

regulate the Internet."

The public comment period on this issue will close Feb. 13, 2001, according

to the IRS announcement. Comments are to be directed to Judith E. Kindell,

the principal author of the announcement, at the IRS, 1111 Constitution

Avenue NW, Washington, D.C. 20224.

We hope you find this information of interest.  As always, if we can answer
any questions, please contact us.

Sincerely,

James V. Lacy
Wewer & Lacy, LLP

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this communication and
any
accompanying document(s) is protected by the attorney-client and/or the
attorney/work product privileges.  It is intended for the sole use of the
addressee.  If the person actually receiving this communication or any other
reader of the communication is not the named recipient, or the employee or
agent responsible to deliver it to the named recipient, you are advised that
any disclosure, copying, distribution, or the taking of any action in
reliance upon the communication is strictly prohibited.  Any such inadvertent
disclosure shall not compromise or be a waiver of any applicable privilege as
to this communication or otherwise.  If you have received this communication
in error, please immediately notify us by telephone at (949) 248-1154, or
contact the sender at our email address above.  Thank you.