Subject: RE: Bove
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 07:48:00 -0800 (PST)

I've been on the road the last few days trying to find new engineers and am
just now digging through my email stack.

I assume the question concerns the big chunk of metal that has a steel bar
pressed into an aluminum base and a slanted steel plate on top.  Tom Murray
helped me build it.  We are both class of '79 and I believe we built it in
'78 or '79.  We put it together in the old Washburn machine shops were I
was working as an assistant.  The idea of the steel plate was to put the
brothers name once each week when it was passed around.  Dave M. has a much
better recollection of how it was introduced than I do so I will let his
version of the events stand.

For the history of the award and how it all started you will have to ask
someone else.

One of these years I'll get back for a reunion but I've been living in
Switzerland for the last 10 years and with a family it's not so easy to get
over very often.  Noone sings "Home on the range" anymore but I do enjoy
the yodelling and Swiss alphorns.  I actually don't feel that far away from
the USA.  I can get TexMex to eat right around the corner from the office.
The night of the election one of the main Swiss television stations had an
all night broadcast  and people are always asking me who is going to win.
I sometimes think the Swiss are talking about the election as much as the
Americans.  The more sensible ones understand what's happening.  In any
case my kids (10 and 12) are very interested and it gives me a chance to
explain how the system works (or doesn't depending on your viewpoint).  By
the way, when is someone going to come over for a visit ?

I'm the Manager for National Instruments here for those of you familiar
with LabVIEW.  Just look at a National Instruments advertisement and find
the phone number for Switzerland and that's where you will find me.  The
old Email address still works but National Instruments got the rights to
ni.com so the ending switched.  Here is the current address :
[email-masked]

pa

Vance Carter (Tex) '79
Rebbergstrasse 2
CH-5312 D"ttingen
Switzerland
011 41 56 245 5634

[email-masked] on 14-11-2000 10:12:32 PM

To:   "Dziura, Richard" <[email-masked]>
cc:   "'Bob Prytko'" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]'"
<[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]'"
<[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked],
[email-masked], [email-masked],
[email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject:  RE: Bove

I just heard from Rich Leone, Class of '76 ([email-masked]);  he knows the
true origins.....
pa,
rick schneider '79

"Dziura, Richard" <[email-masked]> on 11/14/2000
03:46:59 PM

To:   "'Bob Prytko'" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]'"
<[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]'"
<[email-masked]>
cc:

Subject:  RE: Bove

This address for Vance is a couple of years old.  Is it already on the
alumni list?

Another person to consult for history is the Doctor - Rich Harabedian,'75.
My memory is pretty fuzzy on this but I thought he may have been in on the
beginning.  I know he was in on official Room 7 SB Bove meetings (count off
by two's) that took place before my years there.

-----Original Message-----
From:     Bob Prytko [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:     Tuesday, November 14, 2000 2:06 PM
To:  [email-masked]'
Subject:  Bove

I think vance carter's email is flaoting around somewhere, do you
have it?
Check out the hill's list or site for it.  I may have it at home.  P

House Core tonight

_______________________

DZ wins the prize!
Yes, the S.B. Bove trophy was created by C. Vance Carter in the Washburn
shops I think during 1978 while he had a student job there.  Vance and I
were roomates during freshman year and joined Mass Delta together and lived
there 1976 through 1979.
I remember the night he presented the new trophy to the House Meeting for
the first time.  Wild applause and instantly adopted as the only true and
official Bove trophy.  I thought he had his initials on the bottom of the
base, but I could be wrong.
The S.B. Bove award already had a history before our time (like DZ said)
but
Vance's design was the first actual trophy I think we had for the award.
We
awarded it each week so there must be huge history of deserving winners by
now.  Maybe Mass Delta needs to consider a "Bove Lifetime Achievement
Award"?
Vance, since we're all talking about you why don't you add your part of the
history here?
PA,
David Mangini '79