Subject: Re: Bove
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 19:23:00 -0800 (PST)

Wow!!! Talk about a blast from the past. It's good to hear from you guys and 
see that a part of our 70's folklore still lives today.  

Vance - never in a million years would I have guessed you'd end up in 
Switzerland! I'd be happy to take you up on the offer for a visit. I'll send 
you my address so you know where to send the plane tickets :-) 

I can't pass up this opportunity to share my all-time favorite SB Bove award. 
It involved a brother who, having led a pampered life at home, had never done 
his own laundry. He decided the time had come to do his own laundry. Sometime 
later, after having deposited the proper coinage and starting the machine, he 
returned to check on his laundry. He was found standing at the DRYER 
bewildered as to why his powdered laundry detergent had not dissolved and his 
clothes were still dry. 

I know who it was. Let's see how many of you guys remember! And if anyone 
remembers the details better, I'd love to hear the rest of it! 

PA!! 
Steve "Gotts" Gottschalk 
'79 

In a message dated 11/15/00 11:42:43 AM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes: 

I've been on the road the last few days trying to find new engineers and am 
just now digging through my email stack. 

I assume the question concerns the big chunk of metal that has a steel bar 
pressed into an aluminum base and a slanted steel plate on top. ?Tom Murray 
helped me build it. ?We are both class of '79 and I believe we built it in 
'78 or '79. ?We put it together in the old Washburn machine shops were I 
was working as an assistant. ?The idea of the steel plate was to put the 
brothers name once each week when it was passed around. ?Dave M. has a much 
better recollection of how it was introduced than I do so I will let his 
version of the events stand. 

For the history of the award and how it all started you will have to ask 
someone else. 

One of these years I'll get back for a reunion but I've been living in 
Switzerland for the last 10 years and with a family it's not so easy to get 
over very often. ?Noone sings "Home on the range" anymore but I do enjoy 
the yodelling and Swiss alphorns. ?I actually don't feel that far away from 
the USA. ?I can get TexMex to eat right around the corner from the office. 
The night of the election one of the main Swiss television stations had an 
all night broadcast ?and people are always asking me who is going to win. 
I sometimes think the Swiss are talking about the election as much as the 
Americans. ?The more sensible ones understand what's happening. ?In any 
case my kids (10 and 12) are very interested and it gives me a chance to 
explain how the system works (or doesn't depending on your viewpoint). ?By 
the way, when is someone going to come over for a visit ? 

I'm the Manager for National Instruments here for those of you familiar 
with LabVIEW. ?Just look at a National Instruments advertisement and find 
the phone number for Switzerland and that's where you will find me. ?The 
old Email address still works but National Instruments got the rights to 
ni.com so the ending switched. ?Here is the current address : 
[email-masked] 

pa 

Vance Carter (Tex) '79 
Rebbergstrasse 2 
CH-5312 D"ttingen 
Switzerland 
011 41 56 245 5634 

[email-masked] on 14-11-2000 10:12:32 PM 

To: ??"Dziura, Richard" <[email-masked]> 
cc: ??"'Bob Prytko'" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]'" 
?????<[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]'" 
?????<[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked], 
?????[email-masked], [email-masked], 
?????[email-masked], [email-masked] 
Subject: ?RE: Bove 

I just heard from Rich Leone, Class of '76 ([email-masked]); ?he knows the 
true origins..... 
pa, 
rick schneider '79 

"Dziura, Richard" <[email-masked]> on 11/14/2000 
03:46:59 PM 

To: ??"'Bob Prytko'" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]'" 
?????<[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]'" 
?????<[email-masked]> 
cc: 

Subject: ?RE: Bove 

This address for Vance is a couple of years old. ?Is it already on the 
alumni list? 

Another person to consult for history is the Doctor - Rich Harabedian,'75. 
My memory is pretty fuzzy on this but I thought he may have been in on the 
beginning. ?I know he was in on official Room 7 SB Bove meetings (count off 
by two's) that took place before my years there. 

????-----Original Message----- 
????From: ????Bob Prytko [SMTP:[email-masked]] 
????Sent: ????Tuesday, November 14, 2000 2:06 PM 
????To: ?[email-masked]' 
????Subject: ?Bove 

????I think vance carter's email is flaoting around somewhere, do you 
have it? 
????Check out the hill's list or site for it. ?I may have it at home. ?P 

????House Core tonight 

????_______________________ 

DZ wins the prize! 
Yes, the S.B. Bove trophy was created by C. Vance Carter in the Washburn 
shops I think during 1978 while he had a student job there. ?Vance and I 
were roomates during freshman year and joined Mass Delta together and lived 
there 1976 through 1979. 
I remember the night he presented the new trophy to the House Meeting for 
the first time. ?Wild applause and instantly adopted as the only true and 
official Bove trophy. ?I thought he had his initials on the bottom of the 
base, but I could be wrong. 
The S.B. Bove award already had a history before our time (like DZ said) 
but 
Vance's design was the first actual trophy I think we had for the award. 
We 
awarded it each week so there must be huge history of deserving winners by 
now. ?Maybe Mass Delta needs to consider a "Bove Lifetime Achievement 
Award"? 
Vance, since we're all talking about you why don't you add your part of the 
history here? 
PA, 
David Mangini '79