Subject: RE: BHP - Vulcan
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 02:29:00 -0700 (PDT)

George, I'd like to set up a meeting this week (and will have Jennifer set it 
up) about this and the way forward for us.   What is our strategy, etc, with 
respect to this project.  

Jeff

 -----Original Message-----
From:  Mcclellan, George  
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2001 6:27 PM
To: Staley, Stuart; Bradley, Peter; Grossman, Samuel; Peters, Jez; Beyer, 
Michael J
Cc: Shankman, Jeffrey A.; McConnell, Mike; Gresham, Wayne; Erickson, Cheryl
Subject: BHP - Vulcan 

BHP has advised that they will not pursue the Vulan (Project Fireball) 
opportunity.  They intend to concentrate on completing their merger with 
Billiton, and settling issues in Indonesia and China.

We will continue to look at Vulcan independently - and evaluate the need (if 
any) for a partner down the road.

Note to coal guys - Dave Murray (ex Billiton) will run the thermal group and 
Bob Kirkby (ex BHP) will run the coking coal group for BHP Billiton - both to 
be located in Melbourne.  Mike Oppenheimer will be doing something outside of 
the coal group.

George