Subject: GCP/PLP Phase 3 Telemetry Requirements
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 11:28:34 -0800 (PST)

MARKET NOTICE
January 8, 2002
GCP/PLP Phase 3 Telemetry Requirements
Intended Audience:  Participating Generators and Loads, Scheduling
Coordinators, technology vendors, other interested parties
On July 18, 2001, the California Independent System Operator (ISO) sent a
formal notice to Market Participants identifying the Monitoring and
Communication Requirements for Generating Units providing only Energy and
Supplemental Energy other than Ancillary Services (A/S) and/or Regulation
(Generator Communication Project/Participating Load Program (GCP/PLP) -
Phase 3).  This requires each affected Generator to install equipment and
software that can interface with the ISO's Energy Management System (EMS) to
supply telemetered data by June 1, 2002.
The GCP/PLP Phase 3 telemetry requirement was first introduced during the
GCP/PLP Meeting held on March 8, 2001.  The Phase 3 technical standards
developed by the Direct Telemetry Working Group (DTWG) were reviewed at the
May 22, 2001 GCP/PLP Meeting and an implementation goal of June 1, 2002 was
introduced.  Subsequently, the installation deadline of June 1, 2002 for
Phase 3 was communicated during the October 9, 2001 GCP/PLP Meeting.  The
work required to install and test equipment and software that can supply
telemetered data to the ISO's EMS must be completed by June 1, 2002.  After
that date, Generating Units 10 MW or greater in rated capacity that do not
meet the ISO's telemetry requirements may be precluded from scheduling
Energy or Supplemental Energy with the ISO.  The Phase 3 GCP/PLP
requirements are posted on the ISO web site at; 
http://www.caiso.com/thegrid/operations/gcp/requirements.html
<http://www.caiso.com/thegrid/operations/gcp/requirements.html>  .
Generating Units that installed a Remote Intelligent Gateway (RIG) or Data
Processing Gateway (DPG) have fulfilled this requirement if all affected
units are visible to the ISO and have been verified by ISO personnel.
If you have any questions or concerns about the Phase 3 telemetry
requirements, please feel free to call the ISO Client Representative for the
GCP/PLP, Dave Timson at (916) 608-7065.
Client Relations Communications 0328
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>