Subject: CAISO NOTICE: New Scheduling and Reporting Requirements For Outages
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 16:17:09 -0800 (PST)

MARKET NOTICE
November 8, 2001
In Re:	San Diego Gas & Electric Company v Sellers of Energy and Ancillary
Services Into Markets Operated by the California Independent System Operator
and the California Power Exchange Docket No. EL00-95-034
and
		Investigation of Practices of the California independent
System Operator and the California Power Exchange Docket No.EL00-98-033
NEW SCHEDULING AND REPORTING REQUIREMENTS FOR OUTAGES
The ISO has new scheduling and reporting requirements for scheduled and
forced outages.  By order dated October 23, 2001 (the "Order"), in the
above-referenced dockets, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission ("FERC")
formally adopted a majority of the California Independent System Operator
Corporation's ("ISO") proposed Tariff amendments, filed on May 11, 2001,
concerning outage scheduling and coordination.  The Order is effective
retroactively to May 29, 2001.  The FERC took this action to allow the ISO
and generators to schedule maintenance outages in a manner that ensures
system reliability while also allowing the necessary maintenance of
generating units, and thus enable the ISO to help provide a more efficient
operation of the wholesale electricity markets in California to the benefit
of all customers.
This Market Notice is to inform all Market Participants of the Order and the
ISO's implementation process for the adopted Tariff provisions governing
scheduling of outages and procedures for the reporting and investigation of
forced outages.  The Order is posted on the ISO web site at
<http://www1.caiso.com/pubinfo/FERC/rulings/>.  The ISO's compliance filing,
filed with FERC on November 7, 2001, is posted on the ISO web site at
<http://www1.caiso.com/pubinfo/FERC/filings/>.
In the Order, the FERC specifically ordered that:
*	The ISO now has outage scheduling and coordination authority for all
Participating Generators (PGs) and Generating Units of 10MW and greater
under their control.  
*	Under the extended authority, all PGs seeking to schedule outages
for any generating unit of 10MW or greater must submit to the ISO a request
for an outage no less than seventy-two (72) hours in advance of the
requested outage start time. 
*	All PGs must request and obtain final approval from the ISO
immediately prior to the initiation of any planned and approved outage.
*	The ISO is required to report to FERC within seven (7) days of the
occurrence of any questionable forced outage.  As required by the Order, the
ISO has filed with the FERC proposed Tariff revisions listing specific
factors the ISO will consider in making an initial determination if a forced
outage is a questionable forced outage.
*	The ISO will require, as detailed below, PGs to provide information
on each of the factors as part of the ISO's initial determination whether
any particular outage is a questionable forced outage.
*	PGs must comply with enhanced reporting requirements and more
promptly inform the ISO of outages and other operating conditions that
potentially may impact the generating output of the generating unit.
Effective immediately, the ISO requires all Scheduling Coordinators and PGs
to implement the following actions when reporting scheduled or forced PG
unit outages:
1.)	Apply to the ISO for approval of all scheduled outages no less than
seventy-two (72) hours in advance of the start-time for the requested
outage. 
2.)	Obtain final approval from the ISO Real-Time Generation Dispatcher
prior to disabling any equipment that may reduce the output capability of a
PG unit.
3.)	Report to the ISO Real-Time Generation Dispatcher all forced outages
or other factors which may affect the output of any PG unit within 30
minutes of the onset. 
4.)	 In the event of any forced outage affecting the output of a PG
unit:
	a.)	complete the form entitled "Forced Outage Reporting
Questionnaire," attached to this Market Notice and also posted on the ISO
web site at
<http://www2.caiso.com/docs/2001/02/01/2001020108211325518.html>; and
	b.)	send the completed Forced Outage Report via e-mail to
[email-masked] within forty-eight (48) hours of the beginning of the
Forced Outage.  Failure to send a timely report will result in the ISO
reporting any such Forced Outage to the FERC as a questionable Forced
Outage. 
Please direct any questions about this procedure to Greg Van Pelt, ISO
Manager of Outage Coordination, at [email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> or (916) 351-2190.

Client Relations Communications.0715
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
 	
__________________________
   California ISO Tariff 2.3.3.9.5 requires Generating Asset Owners to
provide an explanation regarding any forced outage. This explanation shall
include a description of the failure or cause and description of all
remedial actions taken regarding the outage.