Subject: Question 2
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 03:13:00 -0800 (PST)

1.  What are the short term NOx and CO emissions during startups, and are
there limitations during start-ups.

Normally, there is a short period during startup when the NOx goes to 
approximately 35 ppm.  This is very short in duration and occurs while the 
gas turbine is loading.  Our site is permitted to normally operate between 
70-100% turbine load.  These emissions have subsided within the few minutes 
required to attain 70% load.  Our permit constraints require that we do not 
exceed our emissions limits on a 3 hour rolling avarage.  Therefore these 
short-term startup emissions are not an issue.  

CO is a calculated value.  I do not have short-term CO2 numbers at present.  
However, I don't believe they are at issue since they are related to excess 
air which is pretty high during startup.

There is a condition called lean-lean firing which can and has occured from 
time to time.  A transition takes place above 40MW when the nozzle gas 
arrangement normally goes to a firing state called "premix steady state."  If 
this transition fails for some reason, the machine goes into a lean-lean 
state and the NOx level can rise to 40-50 ppm.  The turbine activates and 
operator alarm when this happens.  We can count the number of occurances that 
this has happened on one hand at Caledonia.  When this conditions occurs, the 
operators correct the condition by reducing the load to about 35MW and then 
increase the load again.  Typically this resolves the faulty transition and 
it configures the nozzles correctly on the second attempt.

2.  Are industrial stormwater permits required at either site?

No industrial stormwater permit is required at Caledonia.

3.  In Caledonia, what is the custom fuel sampling schedule?

The fuel sampling schedule for both sulphur content and heating value at 
Caledonia is once per month.

Regards,

Pat Cathers

---------------------- Forwarded by Jon Cathers/Corp/Enron on 12/04/2000 
10:47 AM ---------------------------

Benjamin Rogers@ECT
12/04/2000 10:28 AM
To: Jon Cathers/Corp/Enron@Enron
cc:  

Subject: Question 2

Jon:
Here are some more questions regarding the Caledonia plant.  Your assistance 
with these questions would be greatly appreciated.  Please send your answers 
back to me when completed.  Again, thank you for your help.
Regards,
Ben
3-7998
---------------------- Forwarded by Benjamin Rogers/HOU/ECT on 12/04/2000 
10:27 AM ---------------------------

Don Miller
12/04/2000 10:11 AM
To: Benjamin Rogers/HOU/ECT@ECT
cc:  
Subject: Question 2

---------------------- Forwarded by Don Miller/HOU/ECT on 12/04/2000 10:10 AM 
---------------------------

"Tang, David" <[email-masked]> on 11/30/2000 07:45:51 PM
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
cc: "Whitehead, Robert" <[email-masked]>, "Hoyos, Sergio" 
<[email-masked]>, "Chaney, Tom" <[email-masked]>, "Vivar, Art" 
<[email-masked]> 
Subject: Question 2

More Questions:

Both Plants

1.  What are the short term NOx and CO emissions during startups, and are
there limitations during start-ups.

2.  Are industrial stormwater permits required at either site?

Caledonia

3.  In Caledonia, what is the custom fuel sampling schedule?

Brownsville

4.  What is the agency's response to the Enron letter regarding the 2nd
stormwater NOV?

5.  Has there been any further action by the agency since the 1st stormwater
NOV was never responded to?

6.  One memo stated that the stormwater is channeled to a wetland.  Was that
during construction only or is it ongoing?

7.  Were there any further problems with the B T Readymix concrete dumping
issue?