Subject: Iowa/Mid American
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 13:04:00 -0700 (PDT)

Ajit--regarding the pending rate reduction petition that has been filed at 
the Iowa Utilities Board (IUB) by the Office of the Consumer Advocate (OCA) 
against Mid American.  We've been looking at the prudence of intervening and 
being active in the case, based on your suggestion that if the rate reduction 
of $77 million as requested were granted, we might benefit to the tune of 
about $1.2 million on the current customers that we have behind Mid Am.

We are looking at a number of issues,  including the probability of success, 
the prudence of us being on the witness stand if we provide testimony,  the 
effect of the proposed rate design if a reduction is granted, going back to 
the last case to see how much the OCA really won,etc.   The first testimony 
will be filed in  mid June, and we should have a better idea then of what the 
case is really going to look like. 

One threshold question is whether there is any language  in our  contracts 
for the customers  that prohibits us from representing their/our interests at 
the IUB.  I am thinking that there probably is not, but want to make sure.  
COuld you please forward to me and Harry a copy of each customers contract to 
review?  

Vicki/Elizabeth--wasn't sure who these contracts would fall under,  so Jim 
suggested I send to you as well.