Subject: FW: UBS FX payment
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 14:22:02 -0800 (PST)

Please review for accuracy.  Thanks.  Sara

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	[email-masked]@ENRON  
Sent:	Thursday, December 06, 2001 12:53 PM
To:	Shackleton, Sara
Cc:	[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject:	UBS FX payment

Sara-thank you for looking into this issue for us.  Here is a brief
summary of what occured.

UBS and Enron entered into a Sterling-UBS spot transaction on 11-19-01,
which both parties confirmed and settled on 11-21. (UBS pays USD
7,083,500 and receives 5 mio sterling).

On 11-21 UBS and Enron erroneously confirmed the same trade again for
settlement on 11-21. UBS made a second USD 7,083,500 payment to Enron's
account at BA-Dallas on 11-21 (payment reference: FED IMA
1121B1Q8052C001081).

UBS did not receive the Sterling it was expecting and for the next few
days Enron and UBS tried to resolve the non-payment based on a mistaken
assumption that Enron owed 5 mio Sterling to UBS.

On 11-28, UBS realized that the trade was duped and on 11-29 informed
Enron of the nature of the error and requested that the USD payment be
returned. Enron agreed to return the USD payment on 11-29. The returned
payment was never received.

If you need additional information please contact me at 203-719-1141 or
Bryan Murtagh 203-719-8955.  Here are our contacts at Enron who are
aware of this issue.

Laurel Adams - operations - (713-853-7035)

Clara Karrington - operations - (713-853- 9224)

Visit our website at http://www.ubswarburg.com

This message contains confidential information and is intended only
for the individual named.  If you are not the named addressee you
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this
e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed,
arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore
does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents
of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.  If
verification is required please request a hard-copy version.  This
message is provided for informational purposes and should not be
construed as a solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or
related financial instruments.