Subject: RE: assignment clause
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 08:47:29 -0800 (PST)

Thanks Al.  I was going there.

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	"Alan C. Kohler" <[email-masked]>@ENRON  
Sent:	Tuesday, November 06, 2001 10:40 AM
To:	Leibman, Lara
Subject:	Re: assignment clause

The clause would allow either party to, for example, provide a lender with a security interest by treating the Agreement as an assett.  Of course, this presumes the Agreement has value (of course any value is depleted by the opt-in provisions of the Telecommunications Act).  If I know where your going, I don't think a security interest would overide Verizon's right to approve the transfer of the Agreement to a third party (except maybe in bankruptcy).  However, the only conceivalbe reason I could see Verizon objecting to a transfer is, for example, the parent guaranty or self-insurance provisions -- depending on the nature of the transferee.

>>> "Leibman, Lara" <[email-masked]> 11/06/01 11:25AM >>>
Al,

With regard to the discussion that we had concerning assignment, please
let me know your interpretation of the following clause in Verizon's
Level 3 assignment language: "The forgoing shall not be construed to
prevent a Party from granting a security interest in this Agreement."
I'm curious as to how this jives with what you told me about the stock
vs. asset scenarios -- i.e., if someone buys our stock, we don't need to
do anything vs. if someone buys our assets, legally we need Verizon to
agree to transfer the contract to the buyer (but practically, Verizon
has agreed in the past to do this on an informal basis).  Like you, I
would prefer to leave this alone for now until we absolutely need
Verizon to insert some language in the agreement that covers the
particular scenario that may evolve shortly.

Thanks.

Lara

Lara Leibman
Director, Government Affairs
Enron Corp
713.853.9193 (direct)
713.851.7770 (cellular)
[email-masked]

**********************************************************************
This e-mail is the property of Enron Corp. and/or its relevant affiliate and may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient (s). Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender or reply to Enron Corp. at [email-masked] and delete all copies of the message. This e-mail (and any attachments hereto) are not intended to be an offer (or an acceptance) and do not create or evidence a binding and enforceable contract between Enron Corp. (or any of its affiliates) and the intended recipient or any other party, and may not be relied on by anyone as the basis of a contract by estoppel or otherwise. Thank you.
**********************************************************************