Subject: Options for Bush's Domestic Climate Plan...
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 04:44:00 -0700 (PDT)

FYI - Yesterday, I attended a Senate Commerce Committee hearing on climate 
change and climate science.  It gave some indications on what might be 
included in Bush's domestic plan to address climate change.
 
While little new ground was covered, consensus was evident on the following 
actions:

? focus on no-regrets and inexpensive reduction opportunities (energy 
efficiency, "low-hanging fruit")
? take steps to reduce emissions that have co-benefits (air quality - SOx, 
NOx emissions reductions)
? improve scientific modeling
? long-term research/development and deployment of new technologies, 
including renewables 
? think about adaptation strategies

This was a conservative response, but a sound foundation.  This is likely the 
message being relayed to the White House climate change task force and 
reflects the minimum options under consideration for Bush's domestic 
approach.  

These recommendations are consistent with Enron's positions and ideas we have 
already been feeding the Administration such as our multipollutant proposal 
-- which is market-based, encourages new generation, and has a circuit 
breaker to keep costs down.  We can also help the White House craft 
meaningful proposals on energy efficiency and incentives for new technologies.

I will keep you posted on new developments.  Please let me know if you have 
any questions.

Lisa Jacobson
Enron
Manager, Environmental Strategies
1775 Eye Street, NW
Suite 800
Washington, DC 20006

Phone: +(202) 466-9176
Fax: +(202) 331-4717