Subject: Feedback from Board of Trade Meeting - May 10
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 03:31:00 -0700 (PDT)

I thought that you would be interested in the feedback from the Board of 
Trade Electricity Taskforce meeting this morning:                          a) 
On the weekend, May 4- 6, the Ontario Chamber of Commerce unanimously adopted 
the Toronto Board of Trade's  position paper re market opening on November 1, 
2001.   The OCC is the umbrella organization of all local chambers of 
commerce/ boards of trade across Ontario.  The Toronto Board of Trade 
position paper largely follows the Enron position paper re market 
opening.                              b) Elyse Allan, Louise Verity and Jan 
Carr (all representing the Toronto Board of Trade) met with Minister Wilson 
and Judy Hubert on Tuesday, May 8. Wilson explicitly asked the BOT to "keep 
up the heat" on a November 1 opening. Wilson was evidently very impressed by 
the OCC resolution.                       c) Some concern was expressed  by 
David McFadden (head of SAC and BE's lawyer)   that  OPG may not put the 
fossil units on the block until August, since the Ministry of the 
Environment's new emissions regulations will not be promulgated until that 
time.  Paul might want to raise this with Gord Homer: I don't see why OPG 
would have to wait until August  to begin the process; the substance of the 
regs are known now, even if they are not law until 
August.                       d) A fight is brewing between the City of 
Toronto and the Province regarding the Hearn facility.  The City wants to 
tear it down  as part of their waterfront plan but the Province is pushing to 
keep it as a generation facility of some type. The IMO has evidently prepared 
a report on the issue that has not yet been made 
public.                                        e)There was a push from some 
taskforce members (particularly Jan Carr) to adopt, as a transitional 
measure, some type of controls to limit exports and control prices in 
Ontario.  This was a non-starter with most of the members of the taskforce 
and that initiative will not go forward. I have undertaken, instead,  to give 
the BOT some talking points that they can use in answering questions about  
interregional trade and the type of comments that Howard Hampton  (NDP 
leader) is making about the US sucking cheap power out of Ontario.