Subject: Rate design for 3 cent Rate increase for PGE/SCE
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 06:16:00 -0700 (PDT)

2 proposed decisions were released last night by the California PUC - one by 
the Judge and one by Chairman Lynch.  

Direct access customers are exempt from the surcharge. 
Each customer class is allocated an equal 3 cents, plus an amount to cover 
the shortfall from having residential usage up to 130% of baseline exempt 
from the surcharge (as required by law).  Each decision allocates a 
substantial portion of the subsidy to non-residential classes, although Lynch 
does this to a lesser extent
The new rates become effective June 1, and the shortfall from the actual 
effective date of the increase, March 27, through June 1 will be amortized 
over 12 months.
Residential rate design - 5 tiers will be put in place; the 5th tier (300+% 
of baseline) gets a 35 cent per kwh rate
Non-residential rate design - recommendations to put all of the increase into 
summer on-peak were rejected.  About 60% of increase put into summer.  
Real Time Pricing was endorsed - will further explore in workshops starting 
later in May.  Voluntary program will be started.
In a vindictive outlash, Lynch decision requires federal facilities to pay 
market prices under new schedules to be developed by the utilities
Judge's decision seems to require surcharge to show up as a separate line 
item; Lynch's decision requires that it not be shown separately

Oral argument occurs Friday and final decision is expected to be voted out 
Monday, June 14.