Subject: URGENT - Documents for Keyspan Conversation
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 16:00:00 -0700 (PDT)

Linda,

Per our conversation today, I am emailing you the pertintent documents 
outlining our efforts in NY.  The key document you will want to read through 
is the ESES Message Action Memo (it's about 15 pages and it details the 
comprehensive  PR effort).  The other important attachment is the Concept 
Board for the potential ad campaign.  (THIS IS ONLY A CONCEPT BOARD AND WILL 
PROBABLY BE TWEAKED, BUT IT GIVES YOU AN IDEA OF HOW AN AD MIGHT LOOK/SOUND.  
THE PR FIRM SORT OF MIXES RETAIL AND WHOLESALE MAREKTS BUT WE CAN FIX THAT).

I have left a message for Howard to call Jim D'Andrea, who has represented 
Keyspan at the coalition meetings, so that Jim knows you are calling his CEO. 

The coalition has been discussing this effort since Feb 1st.  Edison Mission, 
Keyspan and Morgan Stanley want to contribute money only and remain anonymous 
(all for different reasons).  They made their concerns known to the group 
from the start, but other companies hopped on that bandwagon last week.  The 
take away from today's meeting (Keyspan was not present) was as follows:

Our coalition is small (10 companies)
If 3 companies are out front (enron, dynegy and mirant) and 7 companies only 
contribute and attempt to remain anonymous - the reporters will ignore our 
message and write the story about the "anonymous donors"....not a good way to 
launch a coalition effort.
We would also be ignoring the $42,000 of research we paid for which concluded 
that people want to hear from "honest brokers", they want to know who we are, 
what we advocate and they want to be educated on what it is we're saying.
Today, the group agreed to go back and get a full commitment for 
participation from their companies.  Without full commitment and up front 
participation the group can't go foward.  
Even Edison Mission is going back and asking to fully participate (deal with 
any criticisms now rather than later).
No one believes that Morgan Stanley will commit to full participation given 
they are a unique company in this mix (but companies seem to be okay with 
them peeling off).
Thus, we need to ask Keyspan to rethink their role in the coaltion.  Can they 
go beyond a contributing role and be up front?
We'd love to have them fully participate, and we need to pose the question 
one last time. (Keyspan was not present for the PR presentation last week 
either so I highly doubt they have seen the plan in it's entirety (attached)
Coalition members agreed that they love the plan that our PR firm has 
presented.  This is a unique opportunity - one we don't want to miss when so 
many companies are aligning themselves with coalitions in preparation for the 
summer.  
(Phil Harris sent a letter to all PJM member companies asking for their 
participation in a similar effort). And IPPNY is also implementing a PR 
effort in NY (albeit a more narrow effort).

I'm back in Houston at 11:00 Thursday if you have additional questions.  

THANK YOU!
(DEADLINE FOR COMPANIES TO DECIDE IS FRIDAY AT NOON).

 - 18.xls
 - ESESMessageActionMemo.doc
 - ESESActionCalendar.xls