Subject: FERC Announces Technical Conference on RTO Seams Coordination
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 08:12:00 -0700 (PDT)

On December 15, 2000, EPSA, ELCON, Enron, Reliant and Dynegy filed a request 
for FERC to hold a technical conference to focus the industry on 
interregional coordination as prescribed in the RTO Order 2000 Function 8 
requirements.  Enron et al were concerned that the RTO initiatives underway 
were independently developing RTOs with little emphasis on coordination with 
neighboring business practices.  

At the May 30, 2001 FERC meeting, Chairman Hebert announced this FERC 
technical conference may be scheduled as early as June.  This is a reversal 
of the Chairman's earlier resistance to holding a technical conference when 
he instead favored the RTO filing process to individually address 
interregional coordination.

The key to the Chairman's change in direction can be attributed to Enron's 
active participation on the Electronic Scheduling Collaborative (ESC) a 
non-NERC industry collaborative effort formed to respond to the FERC ANOPR on 
OASIS Phase II.  

By working through a EPSA/ELCON joint filing in response to the ESC filing, 
Enron was able to raise awareness of the seams coordination threats to OASIS 
Phase II development and successfully sway the ESC to file in support of the 
earlier EPSA/ELCON/Enron/Reliant/Dynegy Request for Technical Conference. 

Govt Affairs will continue to monitor the development of the Technical 
Conference and provide needed support to resolve inter-RTO seams issues.

Charles Yeung
Govt Affairs NA
713-853-0348