Subject: US/Japan Summit
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 15:00:00 -0700 (PDT)

Linda, a significant opportunity exists for Enron to help elevate the 
importance of Japanese energy sector reform ahead of the US/ Japan summit on 
30 June. Energy sector reform is crucial to Japan,s economic recovery and to 
Enron,s value proposition in Japan.

Currently:
Despite some reforms, competition is virtually nonexistent in Japan,s energy 
sector.
Japan,s economic recovery is being hampered by lack of energy sector reform.
Positive political momentum is developing in Japan for macro-economic reform.
The US Government is currently focused on energy issues and Japan,s economy.
The US and Japan will be finalizing the current round of bilateral 
discussions on energy deregulation in the next three weeks ahead of the 30 
June summit. 

While we maintain a regular dialogue with the US embassy in Japan and with 
the USTR, and have significant input on both the US and Japanese sides in the 
bilateral discussions on energy deregulation, I believe that we need to raise 
the issue to more senior levels within the US Government. I propose that in 
the next three weeks we meet with levels equivalent to Amb. Zoellick, Mr 
Lindsay and Assistant Secretary Armitage, though of course I would be guided 
by you on that front.

I attach a brief note which sets out the proposal in more detail.  

If you are available perhaps we can discuss the proposal briefly this 
afternoon (Thursday). Given the time difference, after 6pm would be 
preferable. Alternatively Friday morning, Washington time, would be ok. 

I look forward to hearing from you.

kind regards