Subject: Chronicle Article on HFD
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 03:12:00 -0800 (PST)

A summary of today's Houston Chronicle article blasting the Mayor after 
Lanier taken to the hospital in paramedic SUV.

" Heart scare sends Bob Lanier to hospital"

Summary:
Lanier's defibrillator went off
wife called 911
first responder fire engine at the scene in 6 min
SUV arrived 2 min later, or within 8 min of call
"estimated" arrival time of an ambulance, 2 min later, or within 10 min of 
call - both of the City's downtown ambulances were at hospitals on other calls
Mayor Brown gave the okay to transport Lanier to hospital in SUV

Implications:
Not enough ambulances downtown and Mayor has plans to close both downtown 
fire stations with a temporary station to cover the downtown area until new 
station built (3-5 years)
purpose of SUVs is to free paramedics from transporting patients to hospital 
so can respond to EMS calls more quickly (not to mention that SUVs are not 
equipped to transport a patient)

Lisa