Subject: RE: Harvesting Issues on 05/19/2001
From: [email-masked]
To: <hyde".'"[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 08:44:53 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Chris.  According to Patti, Williams was doing maintenance to its site and did not come back up.  When, the site becomes available lets plan on rerunning the capture to get the last cycles for the missed days.

Mat

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	"Chris Hyde" <[email-masked]>@ENRON [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent:	Sunday, May 20, 2001 9:47 PM
To:	Reitmeyer, Jay; Gaskill, Chris; Piazze, Tara; Smith, Matt; Blackburn, Nate; [email-masked]; Rank, Sabina
Cc:	Tonks, Colin; [email-masked]; Pai, Jennie; Dronet, David; [email-masked]
Subject:	Harvesting Issues on 05/19/2001

We appeared to have some problems with a couple of web sites on Saturday
evening / Sunday afternoon.  Unfortunately, I was not home at that time to
be able to reset them.  Upon returning home this evening (Sunday), I took a
look and the following cycles did not get scraped:

05/19/2001
Kern, Cycles 2 & 4
Transco Cycle 2

05/20/2001
KM (Points R & D, Segments) Cycle 2
Transcolorado (R & D, Segments) Cycle 2
Kern, Cycle 3
Northwest, Cycle 6

I have reset all of the jobs...unfortunately, I suspect there is data loss
for the above cycles. One of our "old friends", the 1line Williams site, is
definately the cause for the Northwest, Kern and Transco misses.  This site
still appears to be having problems, so it should be checked for the next
couple of days.  When trying to go to it tonight, I received various errors,
and the general site layout appeared different since the last time I looked
(this means they could potentially change the layout of the page we get data
from as well).

As I write this, "capture" jobs for Kern, Northwest, and Transco are failing
due to "Internal Server Errors".

Hopefully, this is a short-term problem, and these sites will stabilize
soon.  The bright side of this story is that the Jaguar system did exactly
what it was supposed to do when these problems occur...it retried until the
job attempts seemed fruitless, then it sent pages to report the problems.

Chris