Subject: Commission Meeting
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 04:43:00 -0800 (PST)

In the public meeting today, the Commissioners discussed the order, EL 01-47, 
for relief to the California and western state markets. The order announces 
certain action to be taken to increase supply and reduce demand. As stated, 
the actions are:  1) require California ISO and transmission owners to file 
grid enhancements that can be achieved in short-term; 2) extends and broadens 
temporary  waivers of operating and efficiency standards and fuel use 
requirements for QFs; 3) waives prior notice requirements and grants 
market-based rate authority for wholesale power sales; 4) authorizes 
retail/wholesale customers to reduce consumption to resell their load 
reduction at wholesale at market-based rates; 5) announces staff conference 
this Spring to discuss hydro-licensees, resource agencies the possibility of 
increased generation consistent with environmental protection. Addtionally, 
the order seeks comments by March 30, 1) rate incentives for electric 
transmission and gas facilities that provide additional capacity in the short 
term; 2) use of interconnect authority (Section 210.d of FPA) to help 
alleviate impediments to additional supply; 3) waiving natural gas blanket 
certificate regulations to increase the dollar limits for facilities under 
automatic authorization and prior notice authorization; 4) offering blanket 
certificates for construction for acquisition of portable compressor stations 
to enhance pipeline capacity to California; 5) allowing for greater 
flexibility that license hydroelectric projects to increase generation while 
protecting environmental resources. 

FERC Commissioners intend to meet with Western state commissioners and other 
regulators to discuss price volatility and other FERC related issues that 
have recently been identified by the western governors. This will be a 
one-day conference.