Subject: [Fwd: Hts column 9.27.01]
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 12:41:19 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:57:18 -0500
From: "Martin Hajovsky" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Hts column 9.27.01
Sender: [email-masked]

Here is the Home in the Heights column from today's Houston Chronicle.

<><><><>

    Home in the Heights
    Martin Hajovsky

    Help on the way
    Tribute fundraiser for rescue workers set for Fire Station

    THE Heights is a long way from the sites of Sept. 11's terrorist
attacks,
but thanks to a local couple, Heights residents will have the
opportunity to come together to send their help to those communities.
    A tribute and fundraiser to support New York City and Washington,
D.C.
firefighters will be held at the Heights Fire Station 2-5 p.m. Sunday.
The event is described by Houston Heights Association president Laura
Thorp as ``a community gathering and fundraiser to show our support and
honor the firefighters that gave their lives during the recent attacks
in New York City and Washington, D.C.''
    Money raised from this event will be donated equally to New York
Firefighters 9-11 Disaster Relief Fund and the American Red Cross
Disaster Relief Fund.
    The fundraiser is the brainchild of Heights residents Nanci and John

Lamar, who are both New York natives.
    ``I grew up in the city, getting half-price tickets to go up to the
top
of the World Trade Center, so this really hit home for me,'' said Nanci
Lamar. ``My parents are still in the city. They were on a train when it
happened, and someone came on the loudspeaker to tell everyone what was
going on.''
    The Lamars, whose son Ayars will turn 4 on Oct. 10, were on a
vacation
in New Orleans the weekend after the attacks when the idea hit them to
hold a fundraiser.
    ``It was my husband's idea more than mine,'' Nanci Lamar said. ``But
we
were sitting at dinner in New Orleans and thought what a great resource
we have in the neighborhood with the Fire Station and what a great place

it would be to have such an event.''
    On Sept. 17, the Lamars presented their idea to the Houston Heights
Association's board of directors meeting. The idea met with support, but

with one caveat.
    ``We saw right away that it was a great idea, so we decided to
sponsor
it, but we told them `You're the chairs.' '' said Thorp.
    ``We had no idea what that really meant, but we also knew that it
was the
least we could do,'' said Lamar. ``Yet the sentiment that we've heard
from
everyone and the help they're giving to put this event on has been so
inspiring.
    ``This is more than a fundraiser, it's the community coming together
to
show our strength.''
    Thorp agreed.
    ``John and Nanci are showing the true spirit of neighborhood here,''
she
said. ``It's a rally to bring the neighborhood together and remember
these people and give our support.''
    Since then, the Lamars have been working nonstop to put together a
first
class event. Houston Fire Chief Chris Connealy is scheduled to appear
along with fire trucks and local fire fighters. A singer from Opera in
the Heights will lead the crowd in song, and letters to the relief and
rescue workers from area schools will be on display. There will also be
paper on hand for people to add to the letter pile, and a large banner
for people to sign that will be sent to the workers along with the
donation. Refreshments will include popcorn, snow cones and soft
drinks.
    ``Kids can write letters and hang them up when they're there.
Everyone
will be able to come together in a show of community support,'' Nanci
Lamar said.
    ``We didn't even know whether or not the Fire Station would be
available,
so we were thankful that the Heights Association could make it
available. It's booked all the way to Christmas, and there'll be a
wedding that night, so we'll be downstairs, which turns out to be
perfect for us.''
    The images on the television have been horrific for the last two
weeks,
but Lamar said that one image in particular is what continues to
motivate her and her husband.
    ``When we saw those firefighters rushing up into those burning
buildings
and getting everyone to race down. That was so moving, and really got us

thinking about doing something to recognize these people,'' she said.
    Lamar is familiar with the process of healing amidst pain and
tragedy in
her professional role as a social worker, and understands how important
it is for people to come together at times of shared pain.
    ``I'm a private social worker and letting people tell their stories
is a
big part of counseling,'' she said. ``Similarly, having people come
together to express their thoughts in the aftermath of this unimaginable

event is something that hopefully can be inspiring.
    ``Just speaking for myself, seeing the response has been so
inspiring to
me. There are a lot of people that we don't even know in our
neighborhood, but this has really brought us all together with people
that we would not have connected with otherwise. Everyone is just a
person, and we're all going through this. That has been real inspiring
and a real lesson for me.
    ``This is a looking forward and a demonstration of our strength as a

community. That is as important as the fundraising aspect of it.''

    CROQUET CHALLENGE

    The Classic Croquet Challenge, a benefit fundraiser for the
Boulevard
Beautification Project, is set for 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 20 at the
Houston Polo Club.
    The event is sponsored by the Houston Heights Association, the City
of
Houston Parks and Recreation Department and the Houston Croquet
Association.
    Spectator Tickets are $50 per person and include drinks and a
gourmet
boxed lunch. There will be music by the Young Family String Band out of
Austin, Texas, and a lunchtime fashion show by Harold's in the Heights.
    If you'd like to play, teams of two players are $250 which includes
all
of the above.
    For more information, e-mail [email-masked] or
call
the Heights Association at 713-861-4002.

    If you've got news for Home in the Heights, call Martin Hajovsky at
713-220-3596, e-mail to [email-masked] or mail to 801 Texas
Ave., Suite 445, Houston, Texas 77002.