Subject: Re: How to Make a Roux reference, and a recipe
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 03:37:02 -0800 (PST)

Thanks, Lester!  We'll give it a try...

We liked your original recipe so much, we gave it a try the very next
weekend at our own house.  I, too, made a substitution, using smoked oysters
instead of the fresh oysters for which the recipe called.  They were
probably easier to dice than the raw ones and added another layer of flavor
to the soup.  Definitely a keeper!

John

-----Original Message-----
From: A. Lester Buck III <[email-masked]>
To: John Watson <[email-masked]>; Jerry & Shirley Mills
<[email-masked]>; Sam Cook <[email-masked]>; Phyllis Hamilton
<[email-masked]>; Kim Watson <[email-masked]>; Jim
McKinley <[email-masked]>; Jerry Granacki <[email-masked]>; Jerilynn
& Tom Daugherty <[email-masked]>; Jennifer Harvey
<[email-masked]>; Hattie Thurlow McKinley <[email-masked]>;
Jeanne Singer <[email-masked]>; Jerilynn Daugherty
<[email-masked]>
Date: Wednesday, December 12, 2001 11:19 PM
Subject: How to Make a Roux reference, and a recipe

Dear Gourmet Group,

At our last meal, my assignment was to bring an oyster & artichoke
soup, based on a very rich recipe from Commanders Palace in New
Orleans.  Under ridiculous time pressure, I did manage to find a
site on the web that explained what a "blond" roux was. Alas, my
soup could have used some more time simmering and reducing, and
I was left wondering what a second attempt would taste like.

Well, as it happened two weeks later I needed to bring something
to a pot luck dinner, and those three sticks of butter left from
the first soup had been taunting me ever since, daring me to clog
my own arteries. So I thought maybe I could use the butter by making
another soup to take.  Well, the first soup was oysters & artichokes,
but I happen to have a soft spot for corn chowder, so I converted
the original recipe into a very successful corn chowder.  (It was
a big hit at the pot luck party.)

Here is the URL of the "How to Make a Roux" tutorial on the web:

http://www.learn2.com/05/0574/05748.asp

And I have attached my recipe for Rich Corn Chowder.

Best regards,

Lester